Friday, March 28, 2014

Recovering and Comfort

With each of our boys, I know exactly what to expect when they are sick or recovering from something. Each one of them responds differently... one whiny and wimpy, another is so peaceful and calm (a welcome relief) and another is just snuggly. 

With Irina, we are learning how she handles sickness/recovery. She has been very lethargic, but generally very cheerful. She is one tough cookie. No surprise there! She is a survivor! For those of you wondering, she slept well through the night as long as we were close by. She has her first cold, so it is hard to separate which symptoms are bothering her. She has little appetite and we are regularly treating her mouth pain. I think she'll bounce back soon, but I'm of the opinion that it's been good for us to coddle her a little. I'm not sure she's ever had all this special treatment. (balloons, flowers, packages in the mail, etc.) :)

She had the day off from school and sat on the couch reading books while I did school work with the boys. (Which I confess I was TOTALLY NOT in the mood to do!!! But we pushed through. Phew!) The boys are eagerly enjoying the special soft foods that I bought for Irina to enjoy. She insists they get whatever treats she gets. Sweet girl! After school, they laid around on the couch with her commiserating... all the kids still in their pajamas! Maybe it's the gray weather contributing to the lethargy?

I've learned recently about friends of friends who read this blog looking for encouragement and inspiration. That made me very nervous. I started this blog to advocate for Irina's adoption. Then it became a place to share the story of US pursuing her adoption. Next, I used it to communicate with family and friends while we were in country. Now I use it to personally keep a photo diary of our days and what God is teaching me as we bumble along. I'm truly humbled that any words I type here would be a source of hope. That must come from God, because I am a broken pot.  I hope and pray HIS light is shining from this cracked vessel. I surely don't want this blogspot to be a place where I elevate myself. All glory be to Him!

"For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God who said, "Let light shine out of darkness", made his light sine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. " 2 Corinthians 4:5-9

My life is very intertwined with the spiritual side of things. As I've blogged, I know there are readers who are not interested in that aspect, but I cannot keep quiet. If that encourages you, I am blessed. If it makes you mad, then the Spirit is at work. If it leaves you with questions, please ask more. Without Christ, I am nothing. He loves us with an everlasting love. 

"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." 2 Corinthians 5:15

I love this from the Heidelberg Catechism.
Q: What is your only comfort, in life and in death?

A: That I belong-- body and soul, in life and in death--not to myself but to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ, who at the cost of his own blood has fully paid for all my sins and has completely freed me from the dominion of the devil; that he protects me so well that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that everything must fit his purpose for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit, he also assures me of eternal life, and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.


*** Note: A couple hours after I posted this, I came home from taking Ethan to gymnastics to find Irina running around and riding her bike. I guess she is feeling better! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment