Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Perspective

Today I learned that another adoptive mom friend of mine is battling cancer in the advanced stages. (It is no one local to me and you probably don't know her.) She has only been home with her daughter for six months.

And just like that my perspective has changed. Everything that seemed important before I received that email, suddenly seems less important. Everything I'm tempted to whine and complain about fades in comparison to the challenges that this family is facing. It's not my place to share names, but if you are a praying person please pray for this family. They have many hurdles ahead. Thank you.

I've also received encouraging emails checking in on Irina's post surgery healing. Thank you! Overall, she is doing quite well. The last two days, she has experienced quite a bit of mouth pain. Thankfully it is intermittent so it doesn't keep her down for long. However,  the pain is definitely present and troubling her at particular moments of each day and night. I'm thankful she tells us about the pain. After having suffered for so long without anyone comforting her, I'm glad she knows that we will comfort her.

Overall though, she is running, twirling, laughing and playing her usual tricks. She has such a joyful spirit. She loves to run and leap into Darin's unsuspecting arms. She has an amazing amount of trust that he'll immediately be ready to catch her, even if he happens to be looking the other way talking to me. As of this post, every time she flies through the air she's landed safely in his arms (just where she loves to be!) I'm so glad she has a Daddy who loves her and whom she loves.

Life is marching forward... spring may have officially sprung. Hooray! Days are filled with school work, not enough housework, laundry, a haircut for one boy (2 more to go), park visits, outside play and Irina's birthday preparations. I'm reminded today to cherish every moment I get to spend with each of my kids. Why do I forget to do this so often? Feel free to just scan the pictures. :) I'm going to indulge myself with a little reflection on each of my precious kiddos.

Luke: He is a tried and true outdoors nature boy. His face lights up when he is exploring new territory. We took a break in our scooter ride to wander through the woods a little today. Within moments, Luke and Ethan were working together to move logs to make bridges to cross. He is a confident leader when he is outside in God's creation. I'm thankful that he is delighted by simple things.


I wish that stick wasn't blocking Luke's face! What a terrible photographer. ;)
 Ethan: This boy is a monkey. Seriously, I came running around the bend to catch up to the crazy fast scooter riders and found Ethan up his favorite tree. He has no fear! For as long as I can remember, Ethan has always been my boundary pusher when it comes to physical activity. He was walking at 9 months, so it shouldn't be a surprise. He hugs with his whole body. The full koala hug that nearly knocks you over. I love it!
Lately, he's been spending more time participating in gymnastics. Every where he goes, he is looking for opportunities 
to practice his skills. I think he is beginning to surprise himself with his developing strength. 

Aaron: How is my little baby getting so big? I looked at his feet the other day and was shocked. He's nearly the same height as Ethan. This jolly guy has loved having a sister and reminds me regularly that we should adopt another sister who is 2 or 3 because sisters are so much fun. Sometimes he acts much older then his age because he's used to playing with the big kids. Other times, he reminds us that he'll always be our baby. ;) He is playful, creative and loves sports. He has been very patient to play a team sport. We hoped to try one out this year, but decided instead to keep our schedule as simple as possible this first year with Irina home. He has plenty of years of team sports ahead.


Irina: The majority of this blog has been about our fourth child, so I'm not sure there is much more to say. And yes, even though she is the oldest we will continue to refer to her as our fourth because she was the fourth child added to our family. (This has been very important for our first born male.) We still have so much to learn about our beautiful daughter. She is full of life and light and joy.  Sometimes it is crazy to realize that we have daughter who is only 2 days shy of eleven. Almost sixteen years ago when Darin and I first got married, we would have never guessed all the fun God had planned for us. :)
Aren't her shades hilarious? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment