Monday, February 10, 2014

Repercussions

It did not occur to me until today that there would be repercussions from my time away this weekend. It was the longest I have been away from Irina since November and it was very confusing to her. I do not feel guilty one bit, but I do feel the need to be more compassionate as she has struggled with some "ugly weeds" both on Sunday and Monday. She is vacillating between smothering me with affection and testing my love with very combative behavior.

Now, there is a lot more going on besides me being away from her, but I do believe my absence is one piece of the puzzle. She also had an emotional response to watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics that we recorded. Seeing the Ukrainians march in and hearing the Russian language has set her off with some homesickness and lots of tears. Then you add in that she had her first physical at the pediatrician today AND is anticipating her teeth getting "fixed" on Friday. My sweet girl is struggling and anxious.

Irina did pretty well at the doctor's office. We are using a new pediatrician who has experience with adopted children and she was fantastic. Irina has grown quite a bit in height and weight since arriving in America. Hooray! She falls only in the 10-25% for weight, but that is not a concern at all. Her height is in the 25 percentile. Very proportional. Our pediatrician recommended we have all her routine blood work completed while she is sedated for her dental surgery so we don't also have to put her through more trauma. I think that's a great idea.

Please pray:
1) That I would have extra compassion and patience for our sweet butterfly this week. After all my spoiling this weekend, it was hard for me to be delighted about being back in mom mode today. :)
2) That the Lord will give Irina peace in the face of uncertainty and fear.
3) For good communication before the surgery. We are scheduling a translator to talk her through some of what is expected pre-surgery and post surgery.
4) That the dental surgery will bring great relief from her pain. Pray for quick healing post surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment