Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Grouchiness and Sunshine

Last night I was mad, disappointed and completely bummed out. Just plain grouchy! I realized that we wouldn't be able to go to Community Bible Study (CBS) AGAIN today. After being snowed out two weeks, I was so ready for fellowship with other women and so ready to get a little break from the kiddos. Not to mention that the boys were super excited to go to their homeschool class too.

Until Irina is ready to join her 4th grade class, Darin has been willing to have her tag along to his office. I pack up a backpack full of schoolwork and she keeps busy (sort of!), while the boys and I go to CBS. When I saw Darin ironing a shirt last night, I realized that his all day sales meeting was going to interfere with our Wednesday plan.
As I was stewing over our unexpected change in plans, I realized some things. First of all, it occurred to me that the reason we're waiting to have Irina participate in CBS is no longer because of attachment. I know it will continue to be a process, but I am quite confident that our little butterfly is attaching to US. I think she most definitely recognizes us as her family and has moved past the indiscriminate affection with strangers. Praise the Lord.
The boys were also disappointed when I told them we weren't going to CBS, but despite that they rallied and we had a really good school day together. One boy in particular was so unexpectedly agreeable and cooperative that it warmed my heart. We covered a lot of material and we even had fun!
After raining all morning we were all pleasantly surprised to see sunshine after rest time. When Irina asked to go to the park, I said "sure!" We quickly loaded the car with water bottles, helmets and scooters and were on our way. The temperature had only warmed to 47 degrees, but we were not chilly as we raced along the trails. As I was jogging to catch up to the speedy scooters, I found myself emotional. No, it wasn't because I couldn't keep up. ;)  I was so struck by the gift of these four kids and their developing friendship. The Lord filled me with a peace I can't explain. I'm serious. I know you're probably tired of me saying how hard this journey has been, but for the first time in a while I actually couldn't stop thinking about all the ways the Lord has been at work and all the great joy He has brought our family. Thank you to my sweet friend for praying "that my heart would be peaceful" today.  He answered your prayer.   
I might have been just a little bit thrilled when Irina asked me to braid her hair like she was a queen tonight. I am learning more and more every day how beautiful my daughter is not only on the outside, but on the inside too. God knew just how our day was going to turn out as I grumbled and grumbled last night. I certainly missed Community Bible Study today, but I'm thankful for how our day unfolded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment