Sunday, February 23, 2014

Peeling an Onion

For each of our biological kids, we've had the privilege of watching their personalities develop. We know their living environment, we know the experiences that have shaped them, and we've watched God at work molding them. For the boys, it is like ADDING more and more layers to an onion. We've watched the layers build upon their core. 

For Irina, we only know bits and pieces of her history and experiences. We didn't have the privilege of being with her for the first 10 years of her life. Now that she is a part of our family, we get to learn more about her each day. Each day, it is as if we are PEELING BACK the layers to find out what is at the core. Even though all four kids are still growing and we'll get to see how all four of them mature, it is different. For Irina, we are peeling back layers and adding new layers all at the same time

There is definitely deep emotional healing that needs to occur and we are working a lot to teach Irina socially and developmentally appropriate behavior. If you're around us for long, you'll definitely see evidence of this. However, I'm reminded today that she was uniquely made by a loving Creator.  "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14

Here are some fun things we are learning about our girl:
1) She is one smart cookie. She has the aptitude and determination for learning and a very sharp mind. She notices everything. We can't spell things we don't want her to know. She is so clued in to conversations that she can quickly decode what we're spelling and guesses correctly EVERY time. There is no pulling the wool over her eyes! 

2) She loves music. She is not particularly gifted in singing, but she enjoys it nonetheless. She loves to play her cd's in her room and thankfully is content with the selection we provide. When she told me that she could play the piano, I was prepared to be surprised by a concert pianist. She is so full of surprises. Even though that is not the case, she approaches the piano like she does most things... with determination and joy. The little boys will spend most of their time on the keyboard making the sound effects for fire works, car crashes, barking dogs or some other obnoxious noises. Irina, on the other hand, spends quite a long time tickling the ivories and making up new songs. 

3) She is athletic. After learning to ride a bike without training wheels in only a few days, I shouldn't be surprised by this. However, I was amazed by her ability yesterday when she played catch with Darin and Aaron. In a very short time, she was throwing and catching a soft ball with ease. She has a strong arm and was catching the ball just about every time. This was the first time she has ever played baseball. 


4) She is eager to speak all English. She told me yesterday, "Mommy, June/July Irina talk all English. Maybe April." She is definitely coming along. Lately, her favorite CD is one I bought from Discovery Toys when Luke was 1 or 2 years old. It is called "Sounds Like Fun." It has a months of the year song, letter sounds song, counting by 10's song and more learning songs. She spends all of rest time singing LOUDLY to this CD. It doesn't seem to disturb the boys and I don't have the heart to get her to be more quiet. 

5) She loves to talk. At bedtime almost every night, I sit there waiting and hoping she'll fall asleep quickly. For now she still needs me to sit with her until she falls asleep. It usually takes 30-45 minutes and I sit by her door reading a book. Every night without fail, when it looks like she is almost sound asleep her head pops up and she says, "Mommy, Irina sleeping." And I'm inwardly rolling my eyes and thinking, "You were until you woke yourself up to talk to me." ;) At church this week she said at least three different times during the service, "Mommy, Irina good job. Irina not talking." The irony in that statement does not escape me. She has a constant need to chatter and talk. Is that a girl trait or just the characteristics of a girl in need of making up for so little attention for 10 years?

6) She has a great sense of humor and loves to be dramatic and silly. "Mommy, Irina silly today."
Dressing up: Darin's running sneaks, my raincoat, my winter hat and my purse

"Mommy LOOK!" She likes to show me her tricks on her bike.
Now of course it goes without saying, that just like all of us some of her layers are sweet and some are sour. I need to keep reminding myself to focus on the sweet. I look forward to peeling back more sweet layers and getting to know our girl more!

No comments:

Post a Comment