Friday, August 8, 2014

Reprieve

Every day this summer we have had an agenda and schedule. The kids historically do not do well with an unplanned day and excessive free time, especially our little butterfly! There is always something next on our schedule that we are rushing to do, even if it is something fun like an outing with friends.

On Thursday morning, one boy woke feeling really worn down with a summer cold and earache. He was mellow and the three others followed his lead. They asked if we could just stay home and do nothing and I said "sure!" We have had an unbelievably delightful few days with no schedule except for meal times. I can't even believe it. Very minimal conflict and HOURS of time pretending, building, creating and enjoying one another.
We have a finished (yet unfinished in the decorating sense) room on our third floor. 
Unless we have overnight guests it is the "Lego Room." It's usually a mess and they love it!
I snuck up and took a picture today. 
Thank you, Jesus, for Legos. This mellow, peaceful, and creative play has been such 
a nice reprieve for me from the training and correcting that is a part of our daily life. 
God knew I needed it! I know this relaxed schedule can't last forever without conflict or boredom, 
so I'm enjoying it while I can. And what a huge step that Irina stayed engaged playing 
with the boys for so long without checking to see what I was doing. Definitely progress!

1 comment:

  1. This has been a big lego week for us too. Even those who don't normally play! So glad you've had a reprieve!

    ReplyDelete