Thursday, August 28, 2014

Heart for Ukraine

Do you remember this little town we spent time in while in Ukraine? 
It's called Horlivka, but also known by it's Russian name Gorlovka. 
You can read more about the history of the town HERE

The two times we visited Gorlovka, we quickly realized that it is full of contrasts. 

It is a mixture of deteriorating old and 
spectacular NEW!
Remember this awesome playground we spent hours enjoying with the boys?
We stayed in this very nice (and inexpensive) hotel for both our visits. 
We met lovely and friendly people all around town as we wandered about quite safely. 
 This was the morning our whole family was reunited with Irina back on November 22, 2013. 

I'm not sure if you're following the news, but this city (as well as many others in Ukraine) is in the midst of war. We are so thankful to receive email yesterday from friends who are living in Gorlovka as I type. They are alive and safe. Praise the Lord! For the past six weeks, they have been living underground trapped in their basement. They just got power and water restored last weekend after living without it for quite a while. They have had spotty cell phone coverage. Thank the Lord for technology! They are running out of food, but it is not safe to leave their house. Before the Ukrainian army came into their area, they tried to flee to family in Kiev but the railway lines had been bombed. It is not safe to travel by car. They hear steady bombing as they wait in their basement. There have been bombings in residential areas. According to our friends, the city has been destroyed, many have been killed, and many people are still suffering.

We also heard that Irina's orphanage has been evacuated because of its proximity to the conflict. I am SO thankful that we are home and safe with our daughter. However, my heart is broken for the people of Ukraine; for the children, the families, and the babushka's we saw on the streets. My heart is broken for the other children at Irina's orphanage that do not have the comfort of family.

So while I'm tempted to moan and complain in my comfortable house about all the perceived hardships I am facing, perhaps it's time to get a little perspective? The only loud sounds I hear are from my happy children pretending to be zoo animals. There are no bombs outside my house. Clean, fresh and delicious water flows from my faucet in my bright and cheery kitchen.

There will come a day when there will be no more pain and no more suffering around the world. Are you burdened like me to pray for the pain many endure here and now? Please pray for the people of Ukraine. I will forever be linked with this beautiful country.

** Irina does NOT know anything about what is going on in Ukraine right now. It's far too much for her immature brain to take in. It would upset her greatly to know her friends at school have been displaced. Please do not mention it in her presence or ask her about it. **

No comments:

Post a Comment