Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Favorite Granola

Granola and smoothies have become a breakfast tradition on Tuesday mornings. 
I haven't quite found a smoothie recipe I love yet, but I've experimented a bit 
and settled on this delicious granola. (I started with the Bread Beckers recipe 
and fiddled until I found what we liked best.)
We don't have time for a hot breakfast every morning, so this is a good filling alternative. 
Appetites are enormous around here first thing in the morning. Will our grocery 
budget survive the teenage years? They already eat so much. 

Ingredients:
5 cups old fashioned oats
2-3 tbsp flax seed
1/2 cup roughly chopped almonds
1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
1 tsp cinammon
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries or cherries)

Directions:
1) Mix together oats, flax seed, almonds, and pecans. 
2) In small saucepan on medium-low heat, melt together honey and butter (or coconut oil.) 
3) Add cinnamon and vanilla to the melted honey mixture. 
4) Stir the honey mixture into the oats and mix well. 
5) Spread mixture in a 10x15 stoneware bar pan. (I've never tried this on a regular baking sheet. 
I suspect you would have more trouble with burning and sticking.)
6) Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes. Stir mixture and bake 5 more minutes. 
7) Cool and add dried fruit. 
We like to serve this with milk like a cold cereal. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jill I'm going to try this. Looking for something new and exciting for breakfast! ~Diana
    PS we went to the splashpark and it was fun! Even for my 9 yr old!

    ReplyDelete