Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Not My Plans

My younger brother and his family arrived from western Canada last Friday night. We hadn't seen them in two years and don't get to talk on the phone nearly enough. Which seems silly considering they are so important to me, but that's sadly what happens when you don't live in the same town. We're both busy caring for our families and living our lives. I'd say it's because they are so far away on the other side of North America, but I have other family members living much closer and it's still hard to coordinate schedules to visit/talk.

In the days leading up to their arrival, I was eager, excited and emotional. The kids were too. We made a sign, bought balloons and counted down the hours until their arrival. We had 2 1/2 lovely days to spend together. I have wonderful pictures that I hope to post soon, but I need to make sure I have permission first. On Monday evening, I went to bed too late with plans as to how we were going to spend the coming days. I knew my older brother and his family would be arriving in town sometime on Wednesday, so the excitement and anticipation continued. I'm sure my mom was/is bursting with excitement to have all her family and their children together under one roof. (Something that is not a frequent occurrence!)

And then it happened. My plans and God's plans turned out to be different. Tuesday morning, two of my children woke up with fevers. One with a stomach bug. (something we have little experience with) Another one bit the dust Tuesday evening. WHY? The timing is horrible. I had so many plans.  I don't totally understand why and I'm hoping we recover quickly. I want to BE with my brothers and their families!!!

Here is the silver lining. The last two days we have intermittently done school work, taken naps, watched TV and read together. We're reading "Amon's Adventure: A Family Story for Easter" by Arnold Ytreeide. It has been a couple days of forced calmness and SO SWEET. The kids have been mellow. I've been mellow. I'm not worried about the meals that need to be planned or the groceries that need to be purchased. (We're not eating anyway!) Since we got a late start reading our story, we're making up for lost time. Chapter after chapter with the kids snuggled up with blankets on the couch has been delightful.

Would I have rather been with my extended family? Yes, but I'm treasuring the sweetness of this time with my children. And one of my little monkeys is definitely feeling better. He just came in my room walking on his hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment