Sunday, December 15, 2013

School, Hikes, Bikes and Teeth

We made it through our first week of homeschooling with four! Phew! Irina is an eager student. I have learned to put multiple activities in each workbox knowing she will move fast. Every day there are one or two boxes she doesn't want to do, but she's learning that I won't cave to her whimpering. Wish I could catch a photo of the sad face she gives me while she whines, "Mommy, no!" Thankfully, she knows that if she's completed all her work she gets time to play learning games on my kindle and that motivates her to push through. Yeah for technology!! :)

We're working on developing fine motor skills that were not developed. 
(In addition to the basic letter sounds and math skills.)

Apparently, this is what I look like as I try to teach the three-ring circus. 
Photo courtesy of Irina. ;) At least I'm smiling here. 
Irina even wanted to do school work on Saturday morning. Sure, why not?

We've been in "sequestered mode" working on bonding as a family, but Mommy needed a change of scenery on Friday afternoon. 
It was a chilly hike through the woods. 
Irina LOVES to run. I think I may have a new running buddy.
I guess girls like carrying big sticks too. 
 In anticipation of Saturday's rain, we zipped out after breakfast for a bike ride through the neighborhood. 
I'm very thankful that Irina is making progress with following our bike riding safety rules. 

These two are developing a sweet bond. I was reminded by a friend how special that is. 
Yes, you guessed it! Our microwave died on Friday. Can I list all the things that have broken since we began this adoption process? The vacuum, Darin's computer, water dispenser on the refrigerator, air conditioning unit, electrical malfunction on Darin's car, new brakes on the van, clothes washing machine… Just another opportunity for us to remember that God will provide like he has before. 

Last but not least… an oldie but goodie...
December 16th marks the anniversary of the first time we met our sweet daughter. 
Can you believe it has been a year???

Prayer Request: Please pray for Irina. She has major dental issues from years of neglect. She began having pain in her mouth on Saturday that she actually communicated to us. Today her face is swollen and she has a fever. We're going to go to the dentist tomorrow and I suspect that she has an abscess. Please pray that she'll sleep well tonight. Pray for her pain and that she'll let me comfort her. Pray for all the details surrounding our dental visit. Thanks!



2 comments:

  1. praying for irina's mouth - tooth pain is AWFUL!

    have you been able to go for any runs?? wish we could catch one together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praying Courtney! I haven't been running nearly as much as I would like, but I've been trying to listen to my weary body. (Something I'm not very good at!) Yes, would love to catch a run together. I'm sure I could bend your ear quite a bit.

      Delete