Sunday, February 15, 2015

Swelling Heart

Nothing says LOVE quite like homemade heart shaped pizzas! 
Well, at least their bellies felt the love.  They look forward to our Valentine's dinner tradition. 

On another note, my heart swelled with love and pride on Sunday afternoon. Irina attended an all girls Bible Study with a group of 4th/5th grade girls this afternoon. I had the pleasure of staying. The girls enjoyed a snack, played games, and participated in a study of the book of Ruth. Irina was both excited and nervous.

During the ice breaker game, each girl had to introduce themselves and then take a slip of paper from a jar. Then, they were to read the question and answer aloud to the group. Irina immediately made eye contact with me mouthing, "You need help me." As the jar passed around the room, I prayed for whatever question she would pull out. One of the slips said, "What is the hardest thing you've ever experienced?' Phew! So glad that she didn't pull that.

Finally, it was Irina's turn. She introduced herself and as I got ready to help her read (I was not sitting next to her), she began reading on her own. "When you get older what job would you like to have?" Another mom friend cheered her on, "Great reading, Irina!" With a huge smile on her face she answered, "A dentist!"

My heart nearly burst out of my sweater. I can't describe what a success this was for my girl. My love for her and her perseverance grew a notch today. Oh, she loves her brothers dearly and they missed her like crazy while she was away. (They even called my cell phone to find out when she'd be getting home.) However, it was so good to see her surrounded by other girls near her age and absolutely delighted! Not to mention her success reading and answering her question. You go girl!

1 comment: