Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Out of Their Element

Last Monday night, Luke and Ethan participated in a Variety Show at their homeschool academy. Each of the elementary classes had the opportunity to put on a class play. If you know Luke and Ethan, then you know performing in front of a large crowd (the room was packed!) IS NOT THEIR THING!!! I mean, seriously, not their thing! But they did it and survived...phew!
Luke's class consists of 9 kids... 3 boys and 6 girls. There wasn't exactly a part in his play with no speaking lines. Everyone had a lot to say and do. Doesn't he look so uncomfortable in the picture above? (in the middle) I think I held my breath the entire time. 
The play was called "A Blast From the Past" and it was a trip through American History (with lots of fun props and dancing!) Luke (on the right) was SO nervous for days before the performance. Two practices were cancelled due to snow last week and that did not help his nerves. I was so anxious for him, but he did it. He was not spectacular, but he got up there and conquered his fears. I was proud of him.
A short while later it was Ethan's turn. His class did a reading of the poem "Paul Revere's Ride." He had a choice to be a reader or an actor. Ethan chose to read. He was a bit more comfortable on the stage then his brother, but still out of his element. His play was not quite as overwhelming to prepare for. His class has 10 kids.
Somehow I didn't get a photo of his huge grin. I must have snapped my camera the few times he wasn't smiling because he smiled a LOT up there. I wish I got a photo of his toothy grin. So proud of my smiley boy. Did you know his Daddy's nickname growing up was "Smiley?" hmmm... 
It definitely stretched both the boys and took them out of their comfort zone, but I'm thankful they had this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment