Monday, February 9, 2015

Just What I Needed

Are you driven by your "to-do" list? Do you have a hard time relaxing and not working? Do you get caught up seeking perfection? Are you uptight? Are you an introvert? Are you recharged by having time alone? Do you rarely have time alone without little people (who are dearly loved but very interactive and sometimes excessively needy!)?

Well, if you've answered "YES" to most of those questions, then you can identify with me. ;) 

As of yesterday, I officially entered the next and most exciting phase of life. My FORTIES!!! There was lots of discussion about what I wanted to do for my birthday. "How do you want to celebrate?" Family and friends were so eager to make sure I felt showered with love and I'm very grateful. I am loved and that is pretty amazing. Oh, how I wanted to please everyone. 

In the end, I finally realized (after tears and much confusion) that what I most needed this weekend was TIME to re-charge and rejuvenate. It's hard to ask for that if you are a people-pleaser like me. It's hard to make that happen when you're not sure how to relax. By God's sweet blessings, not only did I get that time but I was actually able to relax. What a special weekend it was! Darin made sure I had time for a little bit of everything. What a gift! It was much more valuable than anything purchased at a store. 

The weekend included...
1) An 8 mile run on Saturday morning (my last long run in my 30's and I wanted to go out with a bang! This old body can still move! Hooray! It felt great.)

2) A really fun basketball game to cheer on my little sport. Aaron received the "Christ-like" star for Upwards basketball on Saturday and I was so proud. 

3) Flowers, flowers, flowers! I had so much fun arranging them! There are flowers in my kitchen, family room, dining room, and bathroom. God designed some gorgeous flowers that I am truly enjoying. (Darin really goes all out when it comes to flowers for special occasions. Remember, we met at a flower shop back in 1997. Another tidbit: He proposed to me on February 8, 1998 AT the flower shop we worked at together. That was 17 years ago yesterday.)


4) Time to read, study, journal, and pray! Darin took the kids out of the house for almost FOUR hours on Saturday afternoon and I had the house to myself. I did not clean. I did not work on my to-do list. I relaxed and was refreshed.

5) I even had time for a little sewing. I'm making Irina an apron that matches mine. Shhh... don't tell her.

6) While I was getting the kids to bed on Saturday night, Darin went out and picked up dinner for the two of us (Chipotle - my favorite!!!) and a movie (The Good Lie - great movie!). 

And it was still only Saturday. My birthday was not even until Sunday. What more could a girl ask for? 

7) Darin made the lighted sign for me several years ago and faithfully hangs it up every birthday since. I love it! The kids all picked out special jewelry that they paid for (with a little help from Darin). I loved seeing what they selected. So pretty and special.

8) The weather was GORGEOUS this weekend. It was 70 degrees and sunny on Sunday. What?! It's February people. 70 degrees is fabulous. After church and lunch at home, I went for a long walk with this true friend (one of many I'm blessed with).

9) While Darin was making my favorite dessert (I'm not a big fan of cake.), I read a book on the deck in the sunshine with bare feet. The kids were running around in the back yard playing dodge ball squealing with delight. Did I mention that Darin makes the best chocolate chip cookies? Thick, soft, chewy... YUM! He is very precise and scientific with his baking. 


 10) Then showers for the sweaty kids and dinner out!

 11) Grammy and Poppy came along to celebrate. I love those BIG smiles.
 While we were waiting for our table, the boys decided to be doormen. I love that they delight in being chivalrous. Lovely!

And finally, dessert at home while watching a photo slideshow that Darin created of the last decade of my life. A LOT has happened in my 30's. Wow! Amazing to watch and see the change in our family from only one little pipsqueak (Luke) to FOUR precious, chosen, wonderfully made children. God has been so good to us.


And guess what? I have two more special birthday activities to look forward to. Stay tuned. Feeling very blessed. (Notice, this is the upside of my emotional swing. Watch out, you might get whip lash from my ups and downs. hee hee!) 

2 comments:

  1. happy happy birthday!! this post made me smile AND cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect. I am proud of you for choosing your favs ;) so wise in your not old age ;) I had no idea Darin bakes cookies and I love knowing the engagement premise. Someday when our kids are older and we are bored (they say that won't happen, but I don't believe it) will you teach me the art of flower arranging? I've always wanted to learn :) Happy Birthday, Jill! I am SO grateful to have you for my friend.

    ReplyDelete