Monday, July 14, 2014

"What you doing?"

I am not exaggerating when I say that I am asked this question at least 10 times a day by a chatty young lady, if not more. Often times it is very obvious what I'm doing and I have to catch myself so I don't answer sarcastically. Oh the joys and challenges of a VERY talkative girl learning english for the first time. "Why Mommy? What you doing Mommy? Why? You wearing blue, Mommy? What for dinner, Mommy? (at 8am) We go pool today, Mommy? What for lunch, Mommy? Why? You like? You no like? Why?..." I am so excited about how much English Irina has learned... but OH MY... my head is spinning! :)

It's been 17 days since I've last updated the blog, so I thought I'd record what WE'VE all been doing! I post a schedule on the school room door each day to help Irina know what's coming next and hopefully to lessen the questions. It's not really working, but she LOVES having a schedule. It's hard to be spontaneous around here. :)

In addition to a little summer school and daily Bible time, we've been:

1) Putting on shows:
 Ethan is working the concession stand and in charge of special effects. Luke is the MC and DJ. 
Aaron and Irina are the performers. Brings me back to my days as a young girl putting on shows.

2) Enjoying occasional cold summer treats:

3) Playing at the pool:

 We love our pool and it has been a GREAT way to get exercise. 

 Aaron and Irina jumped off the diving board for the first time this summer. 
They are both becoming good swimmers. 


4) Chipmunk surveillance: I'm not kidding about this. This is what I found when I got home from a run one morning. Darin was working upstairs and the kids were lined up at the back door with their cameras. They had used handfuls of almonds to lure the chipmunks to the deck by making a trail from our apple trees. 
 It worked! We have the most gourmet chipmunk in town! He made several trips filling up his little cheeks with my expensive almonds. I am hoping I explained clearly why we should not waste our almonds on our little friend anymore.

5) Fishing: 

 Grammy, who grew up fishing with her dad, was a big help. 
I'm glad she didn't mind putting the worm on the hook, because that grosses me out!

6) Last but not least... we had 4th of July celebrations, family mulching, TWO birthdays (more on that later) and time spent in the hospital with a loved one who had serious surgery. The loved one is recovering well... Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment