Monday, July 14, 2014

Fourth

We had glorious weather here for the Fourth of July weekend. We spent a good chunk of the day on the fourth finally mulching our flower beds. The weather was mild and breezy and we had very cooperative helpers. I didn't dare stop and go get my camera for fear that they'd lose interest if I stepped away for 5 minutes. The kids were very cheerful workers!

I LOVE mulching. I love working hard outside and seeing the satisfying results. I love feeling achy the next day from our hard work...crazy, I know. We started mulching around 9 and finally stopped for lunch around 1:45. Luke and Irina worked the ENTIRE time. Ethan hung on until 11:30. Aaron lasted about an hour. They were all paid accordingly and very thankful for a slightly thicker wallet.

Irina is a very hard worker, for which I am grateful. However, I need to be careful she understands that we work together as a team because we are in a family and it's a way to serve one another.  Her past experience at the orphanage was that they needed to work or get punished. (She spent time at summer camp scrubbing floors and other menial labor... or else.) I have to remind her several times to take a water break and encourage her to play for a little bit. I don't have quite the same concern with all my biological kids. ;) I hope they are all learning the value of working together joyfully.

In the afternoon, we went as a family to a local "Old Fashioned 4th of July" celebration.

We had a great show from Jonathan Austin (magician, juggler extraordinaire!) while we were waiting in line for pony rides. We got there too late to see him juggling flaming torches while riding a unicycle. It's quite spectacular!




 Ethan was in HEAVEN. Oh how he loves horses!


We finished off the day with a cookout at home and history lesson from Darin. 
We were surprised by a great long firework display in a nearby culdesac that we could comfortably watch from our bedroom window. We are so thankful for our freedom and independence!

No comments:

Post a Comment