Friday, May 2, 2014

Another Kids Run

Last Saturday, we participated in another kids fun run with long time friends of ours. From left to right their ages are: almost 6, almost 8, 8, almost 10, 10, and 11. The kids have been friends since Luke was a bitty baby! That's almost 10 years! Most importantly, the girls have warmly welcomed Irina into our family.
 The kids were told to "Follow the Frog." How fun!
The competitors: Darin and I joined in the race with the kids since the course was unfamiliar. 
I'm learning that kids really like to start fast. There is not a concept of pacing yourself. When the man said, "Go," Luke, Ethan and Irina were off like a rocket! I looked down at my GPS watch and huffed and puffed to tell them to slow down. They started much faster then my slow legs can carry me. Luke and Ethan kept up their speed with our friends R and M (and the Daddy's). Irina and Aaron quickly decided a little walking break would be helpful. I hung back with them.
Luke was so spurred on by the cheering crowds. Darin said when the cheering started, Luke picked up his speed. I love his enthusiasm! See Darin in the white on the left? He was such a trouper to come out for this early morning event considering Saturday is his morning to sleep in. He was smart to walk off to the side and let Luke charge through the finish alone. 
Ethan was not too far behind Luke and the girls (R & M). 

Aaron, Irina and I did a combination of jogging and walking. At Irina's request, 
we all held hands for a while. She was gripping my hand firmly at the finish. 

What a fun experience for the kids! I'm so proud of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment