Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Trained?


Well, we attended training, but I'm not sure we are trained or ready for what will come in 12 days! ;) Yes, that's right. Irina arrives at the airport in 12 days at 9:07pm. As I think back to the ways that God has been at work, I am confident that He will be with us in fun times and hard times... and yet, I'm still a bit nervous. I think I'm overcompensating for my nerves and lack of control, by trying to be over prepared. This is where I need to remember to trust the One who loves me and will never leave me!

My parents graciously watched the boys last Saturday so we could attend hosting training. SO thankful for this and truly thankful that they all had a great day. Once we arrived at the training, it was as if I was completely removed from the rest of the world. I never called to check in on them. I completely lost track of time. I was either laughing at our funny table mates or completely wracked with emotion as I got a broader picture of what life is like for the orphan... particularly in the Ukraine. My emotions were all over the place. It took me four hours to settle down that evening and go to sleep. 

We learned so many tips and tricks as we prepare for a very tired and possibly disoriented little girl. A precious little girl who will have walked, taken the train, and traveled three flights before driving two hours to our home. She will likely be too old for her age and too young for her age all at once. She will likely have been exposed to things a nine year old shouldn't be exposed to. She may have never received a hug in her entire life!?! Our trainers strongly urged us to teach the children how to hug (and we even practiced what that should look like.) 

I can't wait to wrap my arms around her and hug her (even if she is a little smelly from traveling). The boys are counting down the days and I'm so grateful for their enthusiasm. They know that we are cutting back this Christmas so we can host Irina and for now, they're okay with that. I have so many hopes and expectations and yes, I can hear my mother saying, "Be careful, Jill. Guard your heart." It is my prayer and hope that God will use this experience to change me and to change our family. Of course, we will still be sinners longing for heaven where we belong, but I pray that as we walk through these three weeks (or a little less) that we will draw close to Him. I pray that as we wait for the birth of our Savior this Christmas, we'll get a special glimpse of how He loves the world and how He loves all the little children. 


No comments:

Post a Comment