Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Giggling and Real Life

Let me tell you... Ira is a giggler!! She has been giggling all day and smiling with delight... even though things have not been as picture perfect as they were yesterday. She is rolling with it and doesn't seem phased. She skips around the house humming. She continues to beg to ride Aaron's bike and Aaron has been so gracious to share it. They can't even take turns since the seat was adjusted for her height and not easily changed. (He can't reach the peddles now.)
Picnic and playtime with friends

A little reality has set in over here though... I had a feeling my boys could not keep up their angelic behavior for too long. :) After all, they are sinners... just like me. So today, Ira got to see what it is like to be in a "real" family. There was sibling conflict, disobedience and all the typical behaviors we see. She watches me closely to see how I'll react and I thank the Lord for the Holy Spirit. I am praying like crazy and taking a deep breath. In the midst of it all,  we continue to enjoy one another.
Happy Biker!

A $1 garage sale mini flashlight is making her very happy. Thank you RP! Ira loved having it with her today when we went to go see Christmas Lights. She has done a bit of testing today. She is very comfortable with us and I've had to set up boundaries with her, much like I would with my own children. An interesting proposition considering I don't have the nine years of history, and for the most part she has responded well. Again, I think she is just testing to see what I'll do and how I'll respond. I'm grateful that she seems to feel so safe in our care. She is confident and extremely helpful. She helped Luke unload the dishwasher and insisted on helping Aaron clean the kitchen floor after breakfast. The boys are certainly noticing her eagerness and willingness to help.
Evening Christmas Lights at the Botanical Garden

Ira asked to do a page in Ethan's math workbook during school today, so I made a copy and she did the whole page independently without one mistake. Great job Ira! She was so proud! Ethan was impressed. Maybe tomorrow I'll offer a page from Luke's workbook? She continues to love coloring, cutting, gluing, beading and anything crafty. She led Darin to all her artwork from today when he came home. She chattered away in Russian and beamed at his complements.


At meal time, Ira has quickly learned our routine to pray and is quick to bow her head, close her eyes and fold her hands. She wears a cross around her neck and I am praying for the right opportunity to ask and explore more. Please continue to join us in prayer... that this sweet girl would find a family and that she would see Jesus in us!! Pray also for endurance... I'm already tired and this is just the beginning. Pray that I would find ways to factor in good down time in the midst of being "on" throughout the day.
Special Christmas Jammies!

Thank you Jesus for loving us!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you all are doing super and enjoying one another! She sounds liks a love! And, your boys so kind and generous! Thanks for taking the time to post these updates.

    ReplyDelete