Monday, December 17, 2012

"Ira" is here!

Oh how I would love to go into extreme detail and share everything from our last 2 days... God has been in it ALL!! However, I've set a time limit for myself to complete this post so I can get some much needed sleep. I've been running on adrenaline for 24 hours. :)

Waiting at the airport Sunday night with the other 3 hosting families was super fun. I was giddy with butterflies in my stomach. I didn't sleep the night before because I was obsessed with Irina's flight status. I couldn't eat because of the anticipation. We were both SO excited. So glad we had three other families to be excited with!!! Thank you Bowmans, Perry's and Scoggins!!


When she walked through the door, we quickly greeted her with a hug -- which she warmly welcomed with a huge grin. After the hug, the first thing she did was grab the teddy bear. Oh how it warmed my heart to see her clinging to it! She LOVES her "mishka." It was a flurry of confusion as we were quick to bolt out of the airport to head home. It was almost 10 by this time and we had a 2+ hour ride ahead.


Before we could even leave the airport, she was SO eager to give us gifts. With a huge smile, she rummaged through her backpack and pulled out a chocolate bar and a prayer card. We have quickly learned how eager she is to please. She is very neat and tidy. Quick to put away toys after she is done and she's even started gathering up the random socks that Aaron leaves around the house and puts them in the laundry basket. 


The boys... Luke and Aaron woke up before we tucked Ira into bed and said quick shy hellos. It was around 1:00am by this time and they just couldn't settle back to bed. They were so excited they were in and out of my room every hour or so. Ethan woke at 4 and was ready to start the day. The anticipation of this little girl seemed like the best Christmas present ever.

Ira and Aaron have become quick buddies. She strokes his head gently and they talk A LOT. Funny that it is not in the same language, but it doesn't seem to phase either of them. They played together much of the day. Luke and Ethan joined in too, but by nature they are more of the observers assessing the situation before joining in. 

This girl LOVES to color. She has come to the right home. I was printing off Christmas nativity coloring pages like crazy. All four boys colored and colored and colored. She made herself at home sharing Aaron's desk. 

We were all struck by her JOY! It was oozing out of her. Giggling, smiling, full of life! She loved the scooter and the swings! She yelled, "Mama!" at the top of her voice. Made me a bit nervous, but I learned today that she is taught to call all her caregivers Mama, so it doesn't mean the same thing we might think. She has had lots of "Mama's." 



Determination! This girl is full of determination!!! It was obvious that she had NEVER ridden a bike. She didn't understand how the peddles worked. But nothing would deter her from figuring it out... and she did. We were even outside riding bikes in the dark at 5:30pm! She was still smiling. She is learning to buzz around on Aaron's bike with training wheels... which is much better for my aching back holding her balance. I wouldn't be surprised if she learns to ride without the training wheels before she returns to Ukraine. She LOVED riding the bike.

She loves crafting so we have been having fun. As soon as she is done with a craft or coloring page, she is quick to look at us asking for approval. Oh how delighted she is that I have hung her artwork with the boys on the back door. 


Thank you Jesus for the privilege of getting to know Ira. Thank you for so many answered prayers! Help us to love her well and point her to You. Lord, help her to find a forever family!!




4 comments:

  1. I can feel your joy through your post! She is adorable and I'm so glad you guys get to have this experience. Thanks for sharing your journey, and I will be praying for the right family for Ira!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness. She is so cute! I am glad your first day was so great. praying for a good night of sleep

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of her looking up at Darin while on the bike is PRICELESS! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praising the Lord for the great smiles, start and fun! Also for giving you eyes to see HIM in her...and who HE has made her to be. enJOY the unfolding friend...enJOY!!! love you !!!

    ReplyDelete