Friday, January 17, 2014

Yum Yum

10 apples,  1/2 cup water, 1tsp cinnamon cooking in the crockpot
Food wise, Irina has adapted quite well to our diet here. The first several weeks home, she would literally gag loudly and say "No Mommy" when I was making supper almost every night. (Or heating a meal a sweet friend delivered!!) When the meal was later served, she would agreeably taste the meal and give me the thumbs up. "Yum, Yum Mommy." She regularly enjoys second helpings. I'm so thankful that she has learned to stop gagging and making faces at the meals I prepare. She told me today that the food in America is yummy. Progress!

using the food mill to make applesauce
I rebel against being a short order cook, so we all eat the same breakfast and supper with a little variation at lunch. I know that she had no control over her offerings in Ukraine, so I find it interesting that she has such opinions. Now I've learned what she likes and she's learned that she needs to eat what is prepared for her. Especially if she wants applesauce after dinner. She's usually the first one to say "Thank you, Mommy" during supper. We're coming along.



Out of all the foods that I have offered her, the only thing she does not like is celery, sweet potato, olives, and oatmeal. She eats everything else joyfully! And of course she is allergic to citrus and chocolate.

If she likes something she says, "Irina love." Here is what she loves...
raw almonds, applesauce, apples, cheese, red peppers, broccoli, bananas, tomatoes, bread, ketchup, ranch dressing, pork chops, chicken, salad, eggs, macaroni, yogurt, pear… I could go on and on!

Note: It snowed the morning we made applesauce. The high temperature outside was probably in the 40's. We keep our thermostat set at 68 degrees and I'm always freezing. Did you notice how my kids were dressed? Oh my goodness, you would think it was summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment