Thursday, January 30, 2014

Building Blocks

When Irina joined our family, it became obvious that one of the schooling hurdles we would have to face is her limited attention span, her difficulty with fine motor skills and her need for speed. There are many variables to consider: her chemical make-up combined with her history, the experience being institutionalized for 2.5 years, the trauma of moving to a new country and leaving all that is familiar behind. All of these things have had an influence in her life.

Her first day building with magna tiles. I highly recommend these blocks!


I've mentioned before that when Irina first came home her schoolwork was completed at lightening speed with little attention to detail. She is usually in a hurry wherever she goes and whatever she does. She doesn't usually walk anywhere. She skips or runs. Standing still is not preferred at all. It took too much effort to work on a craft that was a little challenging or an activity that was not overly simple, so she would flit off and do something else instead. She did some building with the lego duplos alongside the boys, but beside that she didn't seem to have an interest.




I am no trained therapist, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about. However, I have done some reading and I am thrilled to observe progress. All glory be to God! She is making great strides in learning to slow down and stay focused. It's really quite remarkable. Her attention span has increased significantly. Her fine motor skills are improving and her imagination is exploding. Hallelujah!

Kapla blocks -- notice the timer 


Last week, I began daily making one of her workboxes a building block activity. My original motivation was to fill up some time while I was working with the other boys. But I recently did some research and I'm convinced this is so good for her development. You can read more HERE.  According to this article by Gwen Dewar, "There is also evidence that complex block-play is linked with advanced math skills in later life." As a former math major, I'm all about developing advanced math skills. 


city blocks, architectural blocks, jenga blocks
wooden marble run
Each day I give her a timer and tell her to build for 10 minutes. If she is really into it, I let her play longer. However, having the timer really helps her to know there is an end point if she isn't enjoying herself. She doesn't do well with the time being open ended. She can build anything she wants. The boys love to build, so over the years we have collected many different kinds of building toys. We have plain wooden blocks, architectural blocks, kapla blocks, magna tiles, duplos and of course legos. She has become a building machine and I couldn't be more proud of her progress. And of course, she wants me to take a picture of every creation.

She asked to play with the magna tiles during rest time and
then filled the inside of her house with the wooden furniture from her doll house. 
Her latest obsession is building with legos. 
I am so thankful to see these glimpses of progress, especially when there 
are other behaviors that are very slow to progress!! Baby steps… little by little! 
I think she is a blessed little girl to have three brothers who encourage and foster her building skills. 

1 comment:

  1. This is SO awesome! And yes, crucial for the mama to remember the positive steps forward;) Yay!

    ReplyDelete