Monday, January 5, 2015

Christmas Day - Recap #2

After our guests departed Christmas Eve, the kids excitedly opened and put on their Christmas jammies from Grammy and Poppy. I know the time is coming soon that they'll be "too old" to enjoy this (especially Luke), but for now it is a fun tradition.
Surprisingly, the kids went to sleep very quickly and we had a quiet evening. We tried so hard this Christmas to be sure our focus was on Jesus. Despite that, there was still so much talk about what they were going to GET. :( ugh! This was all the more amplified by the fact that this is Irina's 3rd Christmas and the first that she can speak English fluently. She was SO excited for presents!!!!! 

Overall, I am thankful they are learning and I do believe they are hearing TRUTH. It's not a "once and done" event. It's a process year by year of learning, hearing, and watching. Hopefully as they watch Darin and me, they see generosity and servant hearts rather then materialism. Maybe they see Jesus? Maybe they see repentant hearts? Maybe? Time will tell... 

We made some wonderful memories this Christmas day. There were many special gifts...
Legos for Luke, of course!

A blazer for Ethan... he's been asking for one for two years and he was THRILLED. He says it is his favorite gift in addition to his art supplies. He's worn it every chance he can, usually with his tie. Above, he is wearing it with his jodphurs and jodhpur boots. 
He's ready to get on a horse. :)

A dollhouse for Irina. 
Build-a-road for Aaron with an elevator. 

The day before the kids helped me prepare a special brunch to serve Christmas morning. 
(cinnamon rolls, fresh pineapple, breakfast casserole, and bacon) Ethan set an extra spot at the table for Jesus or an unexpected visitor. ;) (Mr. B, we were ready for you!)

And what perfect timing after several days of drenching rain... the sun was SHINING!!!
When we read the first few sentences of our advent devotional, the kids were so excited. 

"Doesn't today dawn differently? Isn't the light all different? (YES!)
That's because the glory is rising - glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace to all the earth. God has left the glory of the galaxies and has come down to save us, to love us, to rescue us, to free us." Ann Voskamp 

After brunch, the kids were playing, Darin was cleaning up our dishes, and I snuck out to the mailbox in my pajamas to get the mail that was forgotten the day before. When I came back in, I sat at the kitchen table that was full of bright sunshine. I opened an unexpected large envelope and weeped with joy. A fellow blogger, whom I will call my friend ;), sent me a print to encourage me. Somehow after only meeting two times, she "gets" me and blessed me with this thoughtful gift.  I immediately framed it and hung it in my kitchen. 

The amazing miracle of this moment is that as God's words washed over me, there was not one interruption. For those 5 minutes of letting truth soak in my heart, not one person was clamoring for my attention and I was able to fix my attention on the LIGHT of the WORLD! Jesus! Merry Christmas indeed.

Later that afternoon, we took a short trip "over the river and through the woods" to my parents house for a Christmas dinner. They had invited a friend from their neighborhood who would otherwise be alone. There was more gift opening, delicious food, and an opportunity to show kindness to a stranger.

I love this last paragraph from our advent devotional. 
"The Christmas candle burns hot tonight, giving its brilliant light, because Christmas goes on forever. Because we have Jesus with us - the greatest Gift of unfailing, unbeatable, unstoppable love that we can keep unwrapping all our days." Ann Voskamp. 

While it did feel like our Christmas celebrating went on forever (we had 3 more family gatherings after Christmas day!), the truth that I need to hear is that every day I can unwrap God's greatest Gift. So can you! His love for us is uncontainable. 


1 comment: