Friday, January 8, 2016

Surprise Sweets

This year I decided to follow the public school calendar and take TWO full weeks for our Christmas break. We were all so eager for those carefree, school free days. My mind whirred with possibilities of how we could spend our time. How did it all go by so fast? We didn't do nearly all I had hoped, but I'm not so good about having realistic expectations. ;)

I loved surprising the kids with a little spontaneous sweets.  For the past 6 years, the kids have begged me to buy one of those gingerbread house kits you see in the stores. There are already so many sweets at Christmas time, so I've always discouraged it. None of us can handle having sweets in full sight without over-indulging! But I decided this was the year to surprise them. They were in disbelief and I loved saying YES. (I don't do that often enough!)


They kept occupied with this project for HOURS. Well, some had a shorter 
attention span then others, but most of them just kept going and going. 



Not sure what we'll do about next year, but I will treasure the memory from this year. I loved the pretty houses, but as one boy said, "Every time I walk by them I get a whiff of sweets that is irresistible." I was pretty glad when they went in the trash. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment