Saturday, January 9, 2016

Christmas Day

In the months leading up to Christmas, there was much discussion about gifts and Christmas morning. We have SO much (maybe too much?) and I feel so antagonistic about materialism. It's so easy to shift our focus away from what Christmas is really all about. Of course we want to give our kids everything...to see the wonder and joy in their eyes! But, is that really best for them? I became a little obsessed, majorly conflicted, and grinchy about the whole thing. It's a good thing I have Darin to balance me out. ;) Don't worry. We didn't cancel Christmas, but we took some steps back in Christmas spending. I'm not sure we did it right, but we did what was best for us this year.
There were still three packages for each kid around the tree (much to the relief of very perceptive boys who were inquiring Christmas Eve...worried from overhearing me that there would be no gifts. oh no!) We still read the Christmas story from the Bible before opening gifts. The biggest change is that after the Bible story and before they opened their gifts, we gave each of the kids an equal amount of money to spend in the World Vision catalog. They were intrigued and excited. 
 
I gave them each a stack of pretend money to count (I couldn't resist the money counting practice. ack!) Then they selected items from the catalog to spend their money on. It was a little window into their hearts to see what they chose. Later that day, I happily selected those items online. This was a really good compromise for us and I'm thankful for the idea from a blogging friend. ;)  
The rest of the day was leisurely and peaceful. Gifts, big breakfast (Daddy made delicious omelets!), windows open, sunshine streaming in the windows, togetherness... I'm thankful for how it all unfolded.
Late in the afternoon, we traveled over the river and through the woods to Grammy & Poppy's house. My favorite gift this Christmas is that somehow in the midst of a frantic pre holiday season and some hard days, God blessed me with a peace in my heart. Oh how He loves me! My mom even commented on it. Praise God for His peace. 
 The kids were ROASTING in their Christmas jammies, but we had to get a picture!
My mom does a beautiful tree and winter scene. 
(A talent or patience I haven't developed yet... maybe some day.) 

A Christmas Day to remember. Happy Birthday Jesus!

1 comment: