Monday, April 6, 2015

Run, Run, Run

The last two Saturdays have been full of running races. This past Saturday, the kids ran in their 2nd annual "Run for the FUNd" one mile race supporting the scholarship program at a great preschool.
I've had to accept that they don't love running unless it is in a game OR filled with the hype of a race. We tried a couple times to "train" and I was met with resistance. However, they all INSISTED I sign them up for this one mile fun run. Do you see those smiles? I think they liked it!
I learned later that Aaron offered to stay near Irina so she wouldn't be alone. (Do you see her at the edge of the first photo?) Aaron made sure he was near her until the end when he sprinted ahead to the finish. She has some great brothers!
 I'm not sure of their times, but Luke was the first Smith kid to finish followed by Ethan. 
Then came Aaron and Irina. This silly Mommy, got choked up each time one of them crossed the finish line. 
What is my problem!?! ;) So proud of them for their determination!
 At the conclusion of the race they gave out prizes for first, second, and third place boys and girls. 
Our little girly got her first trophy for coming in third for the girls! (The boys had some stiffer competition.) She was thrilled. I must mention that at the conclusion of her race, she was in tears declaring that she didn't want to run in the race next year. I certainly didn't coerce her to run this time. We'll see how she feels come sign up time in 2016. I have a feeling she'll remember her trophy more then her stomach cramps. The smile below says it all.
Then Mommy had a turn to run in a 5K trail run. It was a fun course, but I'm not accustomed to running on anything but the road. I was more sore from the hills and trails on this run then the 10K road race I ran last weekend. (Which by the way, I need to thank my fan club for coming to cheer me on last weekend in the frigid temperatures! brrr...)
 Somehow I got 2nd place for the girls! My first ever medal for running. I wasn't all that speedy (27:16), but it was really special to see the proud reaction from the kids. Made my day! They were excited to hear their Mommy's name called and were super sweet. (jumping up and down, giving me kisses, patting me on the back -- especially Luke and Irina.)
Thank you, Darin, for carting us to races early on Saturday mornings two weekends in a row. I know they don't excite you, but we are so grateful for your support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment