Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Relax

I haven't been here on the blog lately because Darin and I went to
a tropical beach for three nights and four days (including travel on either end).

Doesn't that look heavenly? Do you think there is a beach in heaven? Well, here on earth I think of the beach as a little taste of heaven. I LOVE the beach.  It was warm (mid 80's) with a wonderful ocean breeze.

Isn't it funny how much effort it is to get ready for a vacation? Getting the four kids packed for their grandparent adventure took a lot of brain power. ;). And then there is re-entry into REAL life once we returned from paradise. Let's just say that it's been a little shocking to my system. However, I can stop and see ways that God answered prayers.
The idea of the trip was was to celebrate our 40th birthdays. Two months ago I turned 40. In two months, Darin will join me in this new fantastic decade. I specifically prayed that I would be able to relax. I'm pretty uptight and knew we didn't have a whole week for me to figure this out. So thankful that I was able to relax the moment we arrived at the airport. No lists, no meal planning, no grocery lists, no schoolwork, no laundry, no refereeing sibling conflict. I didn't even feel tempted to "work".  I enjoyed the view above every morning feeding my soul. I was not rushed. No one was clamoring for my attention. I could take my time and soak it all in. This was a gift. I filled up my journal. 
The place we stayed was pretty quiet the first two days. We heard that was not the case the previous two weeks so we were thankful for our timing. Another answered prayer: good health! Two of the boys came down with the flu three days before our departure. My parents graciously loved on them through their illness. The two other kids didn't get sick and Darin and I remained flu free! Hooray! So thankful that the germs did not spread like I feared. 


It was Irina's first overnight without both Darin and me and she did GREAT! I'm so relieved and thankful. Answered prayer! The days prior to the trip were a doozy with her nervousness and fear of the unknown. (She likes predictability and a clear schedule.)  The last several days following the trip have been full of complicated behaviors for all four kids.  Isn't that usually what happens after days of fun with grandparents? They have to get used to our routines again. :)  I'm so glad they ALL were so pleasant and agreeable while we were gone. Thank you, Lord. But even so... it is still a lot of work to take care of them. Just feeding them (and they have huge appetites) takes quite a bit of effort.  

Long walks, relaxing, reading, and bike rides (aren't we safe in our vests and helmets?)...time alone is TREASURED. We haven't done anything like this in nearly 12 years and the scenery then was not quite as spectacular as this trip. 
(Our trip to Ukraine alone was MUCH different and not nearly as carefree.)


Thank you, Darin, for planning such a special trip for us. 
Thank you, Grammy & Poppy, for loving and caring for all four kids while we were gone. 
(And for continuing their schoolwork while we were gone too! Above and beyond the call of duty.) 
I know where you can go if you want to get away and relax from all the commotion. :)
Surely it's too quiet at your house now. 

1 comment:

  1. i'm so glad you posted about it!! i was praying!! and looks like God was so gracious to answer so many prayers! the location looked AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete