Monday, October 20, 2014

Streams of Mercy

We had a really great weekend! The weather was great. The moods were mostly great. We had no pressing plans, just a few things on our "to do" list and time together. This is not the norm and it was wonderful.

Saturday, I bolted awake at 8:30am shocked that I had slept that long. How did that happen? How wonderfully indulgent! The kids were up between 6 and 7am and so happy to be playing in the lego room.  (I keep it locked during the week until ALL the kids finish their school work each day.) They love Saturday morning lego room time. I'm thankful they were so quiet. Usually the sound of their hands raking through the lego bins wakes me up. Do you know that lego raking sound? It's most irritating between the hours of 5 and 8am. Otherwise, it is a sound of happiness. 

I didn't even leave for my long run until 9am. This is so contrary to my early, fast paced mornings (usually up by 5:45am). How refreshing! Darin does special "Daddy eggs" on Saturday mornings while I'm running, so the kids waited patiently for him to fix his specialty. 

Don't worry, I'm not going to tell you moment by moment what we did all weekend. :) It's just that the start of our Saturday set the tone for the weekend. 

The kids played happily with neighbor friends in the back yard for a while. 
 They did "bike washes" in the driveway, 

This was serious washing. Aaron used a toothbrush to clean his bike wheels. 

Darin built this ramp for Luke's 7th birthday 3 years ago and they still enjoy it. 
Although, for the boys it's all about catching air as they jump over it!


 ... or zipping over it on the ripstick. Have you ever tried one of those? It's harder then a skateboard and a great core workout. Both Ethan and Luke love it. Got them at a yard sale for $5 each. Awesome!

We had been planning all weekend to go to a Harvest Festival at a local farm. I thought it was from 12-5pm. We planned to get there around 3. Unfortunately, when you combine our leisurely morning with our tendency to be late you get a 4:00 arrival time. What a bummer to find out I had the ending time wrong. It ended at 4pm. Whoops! So thankful the kids were flexible! 
 What do you do if the festival is ending when you arrive? Jump off of hay bales!


This young lady is full of many HARD emotions these days. Hard, Hard, Hard. And yet, she is still full of life and youthful joy at other moments. She'll catch up to her age eventually, but for now running around the yard, flapping her arms like a butterfly in the wind is her way to express joy. Can you believe how long her hair has gotten? It is gorgeous, thick, and wavy. Can I say that? ;) I'm a bit biased, although I clearly have not contributed to her hair genes. 
The weekend felt busy, but carefree. There was time for a trip to the park, catch with 
Daddy in the backyard, making double batches of granola, and working on science projects. 

I don't have a picture, but the highlight for Luke was probably on Sunday afternoon. He joined Darin and other musicians from church for a "Worship Jam." Darin pulled out his guitar and freshened up his skills. Luke had the great opportunity to sit behind the drum set and be the drum player for a song. He was elated! He could barely contain his excitement as he told me about his experience. Since it was their first time joining in the music making, Darin decided to hold off on bringing the other kids. However, we can't wait to all go next time.

I've told too many details and left out too many details. We wrapped up our weekend with an impromptu sing along before bedtime. The look on Irina's face as Darin played the guitar and I sang along to "Come Thou Fount" was worth remembering for a long time.

"Come Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace; 
Streams of mercy, never ceasing, 
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet, 
Sung by flaming tongues above. 
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it, 
Mount of God's unchanging love." 

1 comment:

  1. what a precious post. you and your family are precious. i SO get the long run being at a decent time...and how that can change your day! :-)

    ReplyDelete