Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sedentary ?

This summer, the boys had their yearly well visits. We were in the process of switching pediatricians, so we tried out a new doctor. (The doctor I wanted to see had such a long wait list and I was behind in making my appointments. The story of my life these days.)


If you know our boys, you know they are somewhat shy with new people. Then you make them strip down to their underwear, invite a "stranger" (new doctor) into the room, and start asking them questions and you would think they are mute.



The doctor was jovial and rattled off his questions. The boys answered slowly and shyly with one word answers. Not one of them answered boldly and confidently. It took every ounce of my self control to not answer for them. Then the doctor asked, "Where do you go to school?" pause, pause, pause... (crickets chirping) "I'm homeschooled," the boys answered nervously. (Remember, they are still sitting in their underwear with a stranger.)


At that moment, every stereotype about homeschoolers lined up for this doctor. The unsocialized, gawky boys sitting in front of him are clearly homeschooled. No wonder they can't communicate with adults. I'm not sure if I was reading in to his feelings about homeschoolers out of my own insecurities and discomfort with the tongue tied boys. Maybe I misread the doctor completely? However, at the end of the visit when he told me that they are clearly sedentary I was a bit perturbed. I sheepishly left the office and obviously, three months later I need to let it go. ;) (I will NOT be returning to that doctor.)


You see, my kids are not sports stars. We've tried a few things, but they don't play sports every season. One boy has gymnastics talent, but we're hesitant to over commit the whole family. One boy is eager to try team sports so we're signed up for winter basketball. However, we haven't been able to figure out how to manage 4 kids in four sports year round. It's not only expensive, but it sounds exhausting to keep up with that kind of schedule. Large families, how do you do this? How do you find the balance?





Does it mean the kids are sedentary because we aren't signed up for lots of sports??? I sure hope not. If you know me, you know that personally I love to exercise. I really, really love it! Since the kids aren't signed up for all kinds of sports, it is up to me to provide opportunities for them to exercise. I try my best. We take walks every day before school. They are only 3/4 of a mile, but we do it daily together. They ride their bikes. They climb trees and take hikes. They run in the yard, bounce on the mini trampoline, do push-ups and jumping jacks during school.

I am adamant that they not be labeled as sedentary. In the first several pictures you see my attempts at trying to overcome this label. I've been taking them to parks and making them do "boot camp." (Skip to that tree, then do 20 jumping jacks. Sprint to that telephone pole and then do 10 push ups. Speed walk to that fence and then do 15 sit-ups.) 3 out of the 4 kids think this is great. We'll see if I can get the straggler to come around and find all this conditioning fun too. But maybe it's okay if he doesn't?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you need to worry one bit, they are fine and you are doing an excellent job. I had four of my own and sports were not an option until you were in the 6th grade. Then is was run, run, run and I met myself coming and going up and down our lane. We are 6 miles from the small town where they went to school, so it was a lot of running but they weren't all four in at once when they were little. It was easier to manage when they were bigger. Don't pay attention to that doctor and through the guilt trips out the door.....you are just fine and so are they!!!

    ReplyDelete