Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Guarding the Door

Sometimes a devotion intended for the kids sticks in my head for days.
"You wouldn't open the door to a stranger, would you? You know how dangerous that can be. But let any trashy thought knock on the door of our mind, and we let it right in! Anger shows up and we say, "Welcome!" Revenge needs a place to stay, so we have him pull up a chair. Pity wants to have a party, so we show him to the kitchen. Jealousy rings the doorbell, and we show him to the guest room. Don't we know how to say no? Jesus stood watch over His mind. He guarded the gate to his heart. If Jesus did, shouldn't we?" Max Lucado 
"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him standing firm in the faith, because you know your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings." 1 Peter 5:8-9
Or how about this one? Does it challenge you as it challenges me?
"Your heart is like a greenhouse ready to grow good fruit. And your mind is the doorway to the greenhouse, to your heart. It is in your mind that you decide which seeds are planted in your heart and which seeds are thrown away. Which ones are worth hanging on to and which ones need to be weeded out. The Holy Spirit is ready to help you sort out all those thoughts that get in. He can help you guard your heart.  
The Holy Spirit stands with you at the doorway. If a thought approaches, a thought that may not be so good, do you throw open the door and let it enter? Of course not. You "capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5  You don't need to leave the door wide open and unguarded. You stand ready with handcuffs and leg irons, ready to capture any thought not good enough to enter." Max Lucado 
"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what the nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." Romans 8:5-6
Surely if I let ugly thoughts enter my mind, they will affect my heart and my words (and the people around me). I once heard the expression, "What's down in the well, comes up in the bucket." My words are a reflection of what is in my heart. (oh no!) Thank God for redemption and forgiveness.

Recently, I found a new set of scripture cd's that have been helping me fill my mind with truth. I'm thankful for God's word set to soothing music! (And the kids have been enjoying falling asleep to these scripture lullabies, especially Irina.)

No comments:

Post a Comment