Thursday, September 18, 2014

Long Days

I've been "quiet" in blog world, but we're still alive and kicking. I'm just managing to stay afloat in the midst of many new transitions.

Prior to Sept. 8, we had a pretty good rhythm with school. Every day wasn't perfect, but we had considerably more good days then we had hard days. Yeah! I was a little surprised by how long our school day was taking, but had sort of accepted it. (sort of, not really) Each day would begin around 8:30 and last until at least 2:00, sometimes later. We took short breaks and stopped for lunch, but I was feeling the intensity of working with the kids almost continuously all day. I miss having a "planning period" like I did teaching high school math! (Four kids, four different levels/abilities, no one completely an independent learner) I know, I know... this is our choice. No one is forcing us to homeschool. ;) By the way, all you homeschoolers out there with big families... you amaze me!!!!

When we added in the homeschool academy classes, Trail Life, drum lessons for Luke, and Community Bible Study my system went hay wire. Luke and Ethan have extra lengthy independent work for history, science and writing so our school day became much longer. (Today we finished at 3:45.) The late night at Trail Life makes for tired/cranky boys on Tuesday. It's hard to interrupt our learning to go to drum lessons and Bible Study. These interruptions cause our school day to be extended on those days, but I also know they add a richness to our life. Again, I know we choose to homeschool.  I do feel that this is where God has us this year. It has been an adjustment to have less "free" time for all of us. And, my oh my... my selfish heart has been getting exposed the past couple weeks. When can I have "me" time or "alone" time? Isn't that how the world teaches us to think? Yet that is contrary to what God says, I'm pretty sure.

Next week we are getting ready to add in a once a week art class for Irina and Aaron. We are hoping to add back in gymnastics for my monkey Ethan in October. Aaron is asking to try basketball and gymnastics. Ethan wants to learn how to play the trumpet. Irina has asked about soccer. Luke wants to know why he never has enough time to play with legos. ;) How do we choose what is best to fill our time? How do we keep from going crazy? My introverted self can feel overwhelmed by so many activities. When can I be alone? ha! Is that why I stay up so late at night??

In the midst of all this, what am I thankful for?

1) It brings me great joy to see Luke enjoy his drum lessons. I love seeing him grin from ear to ear at the conclusion of each lesson. Music is such a huge part of his life. His new workbook and cd inspired this trio.



2) Irina and Aaron work together for language arts and reading. I'm glad that is one subject I can double up on! There is something to be said for a healthy dose of competition. Irina is fearless with her reading. She has only one speed and that is fast! So she rattles off words quickly, not worrying about getting them perfect. (Although, she has learned to read quite well for a beginner.) This has totally spurred on Aaron to try harder and be faster. His reading has improved as he has been determined to be the top dog. He's not unkind to her, but I can see he is serious about trying to stay one step ahead.

3) While the additional assignments for the homeschool academy can be very tiring, it can also be fun! Both boys were very happy conducting their science egg experiment, recording their observations, and seeing the results.


4) Prayer sticks have been a new addition this school year. I got the idea from a friend. Thanks Megan! We sat down and wrote the names of all our friends and family members on craft sticks. Then we added extras like orphans, coaches, Sunday school teachers, the President, missionaries, world peace, prayers of praise, prayers of thanksgiving, etc., etc.. Each morning before our walk, we all pick a stick. Then as we're walking we each take a turn praying for whatever is on the stick we pulled. I've loved hearing the kids pray. It makes my heart so happy and I'm thankful that they take it pretty seriously. (That is, when they're not poking each other or rescuing worms in the road.)
Twenty-two days of school down. 158 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment