Tuesday, September 30, 2014

An Apple a Day...

...or three of four!
We went apple picking on Sunday afternoon and picked 45 pounds of apples! What!?! 
We'll be eating lots of apples, making apple sauce, and an apple pie is in our future. Yeah!
It was a GORGEOUS day! Look at all those apple trees.
We've usually tied in an apple picking trip with a homeschool field trip. This year, 
we have activities nearly every day of the week. I couldn't figure out how to make 
the trip to the apple farm. Let me just say that I missed the quiet of a mid-week trip. 
It was BUSY! However, we still had a great time together and were so glad 
to have Daddy with us. (Especially glad he could help us carry our apples!)
Jonagold and Golden Delicious! Yum!
 Clever boys found a stick to carry their bag. We had three teams. Luke/Ethan, Aaron/Irina and Daddy/Mommy. 
I confess I took more pictures then picked apples. I was the weak link in my team. ;)
Do you see that full, joyous smile!? She is HAPPY! "Mommy, I LOVE America." 
Despite the angst that comes from reminiscing about her past, she has never 
once expressed regret about leaving her homeland behind. I know that may 
come later, but for now she tells us often that she is thankful God gave 
her a family. US! This is precious and I need to store it up in my heart. 
Do you see those apples along the path? Irina was very concerned that all 
those apples were going to be wasted. When we pulled one apple carefully, 
we would often be surprised by many apples tumbling on our heads to the ground. 
Ouch! And yes, Irina eats the ENTIRE apple including the core. 
When you've known hunger, no food is wasted. 

Cutest worms ever!

And a visit to a nearby walking trail before heading home.

I love taking pictures of them in action. Of course, Ethan had to spin on his way down. 

 Can you believe it has almost been one year since our first trip to Ukraine?

1 comment: