Monday, September 22, 2014

Impressionable

I didn't have much time to watch television this past summer, but one random night I happened to catch an episode of "American Ninja Warrior." I was hooked. Don't let the title confuse you. There is no fighting. Basically, it is an obstacle course for adults who happen to be amazing athletes. Turn the volume off on your computer and take a look. (I found the announcers quite annoying.)

Well, one day I decided to show my little athletes the clip you just watched. What was I thinking??? 
This 3 minute and 40 second clip has inspired HOURS/DAYS of pretend play. 
Let me repeat... EVERY chance they get to be outside they are creating a 
new "course" and timing each other to see how long it takes to complete it. 
Do you see those dirty feet? Aaron prefers to be shoeless and his feet are perpetually filthy.
They have reconfigured all the swings and the monkey bar to make different obstacles.
This is part of the course... climbing up the side of the play set. They kindly made an 
alternate course so Irina could still participate, but all three boys can scale this. 
She EAGERLY joins in this play. (even in a skirt!) 
They raided Daddy's scrap wood to make things even more interesting. They jump over "water." 

 I did not take any pictures of the really crazy stunts. Oh my goodness. 
There is no limit to their imagination and recklessness. 
 If you're wondering why Luke is not pictured, these two days when I remembered to 
take pictures he was pretending to be the announcer and taking video with his camera. ;) 
Ethan is pressing the "red button" you see at the end of the video clip above. 
He completed the course in record time. 
Is this his future? Will he be an American Ninja Warrior? ;)
So far, no one has gotten hurt. Just a few splinters and blisters on their hands.
I'm pretty thankful that Irina has no trouble hanging with the boys and that they 
gladly invite her to join in their shenanigans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment