Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving

We've had a lot to be thankful for over the last 10 days. Of course Ukrainians don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so there was the usual hustle and bustle about town. We chose to keep up the momentum of schoolwork in the morning and planned a special afternoon outing for the kids. It was not your typical Thanksgiving for us, but that's just fine. 

We took a taxi to a "Dolphin Circus." It was a very bizarre experience. We bundled up as usual to keep warm in the frigid temperatures. The wind was whipping. It was flurrying and yet the kids climbed on these strange sea structures. The circus was actually called "Nemo."


At first it seemed disappointing that the auditorium was so small. 
In reality, it was to our advantage because the dolphins were so close. 
We had a much better understanding as to how high they were really jumping. 
I did not zoom in my camera lens to take these pictures. They were that close!
We were in the third row so that we didn't get wet.



Probably the best part of this experience was watching Irina. The boys had the chance to see a dolphin show last May at Sea World. I didn't have to worry about missing their reactions as I zeroed in on Irina. She was beside her self with delight. Clapping, squealing, making sure I took pictures of every thing. Made me a little choked up to see the joy light up her face and to get to be a part of it.



Today, I am thankful for the gift of this sweet girl and the privilege to be a part of her future. I am thankful that the boys have truly embraced her as their sister. I am thankful for the prayers of so many as we walk along this journey that is often hard.  Most importantly, I'm thankful that God loved me and you enough to adopt US into His forever family as His children. 

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" 
1 John 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment