Friday, November 29, 2013

Silliness and Souvenirs

I chose not to take many pictures today. It was enjoyable to take a break from camera duties. Even a camera could not record this scene. Let's see if my description will do it justice.

It was about noon. We were done with school work and beginning to get ready to wander about for lunch and fresh air. Darin and I were bustling about packing up all our electronics to put in our bags. (We were advised against leaving anything valuable in our apartment so we carry everything with us. When we get home it's going to feel like I'm floating without carrying my very heavy bag!)

Irina was giggling in the kitchen, so we knew that meant trouble. Darin found her filling the freezer with a dozen kiwis. (yes, I bought a lot and I'm so glad we found them before they were frozen and ruined.) At the same time, I hear Aaron shout out "Cannon Ball!" The boys were launching themselves off the window sill and landing on their bed in cannon ball position. Oh my!

This is not an unusual scene. We are like a traveling tornado. Darin and I need to be constantly on duty.  Even group activities like a game of Uno can quickly become madness. They are all so excited and out of their routine -- even though we are trying to keep a routine. Their energy is off the charts. We haven't had any complaints from our neighbors, but surely they hear us.

This afternoon we attempted a brave feat. It's wisest if we all stick together, so we ALL had to participate in a little Christmas shopping. I don't love bringing the boys with me shopping in the USA, so I wasn't sure how it would go with all four of them here. Could they keep their hands from touching all the fun trinkets? Would they beg for everything they see? I was so pleased with how well it went. Phew!

We allowed each of the kids to select one souvenir within a price range. They were very thoughtful and individual about what they decided. Take a look…
Luke: wooden trinket box          Ethan: Ukrainian boys costume shirt
Aaron: stacking doll set 
Irina: Ukrainian Doll 

No comments:

Post a Comment