Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I Love Ukraine

It's pretty neat to think about how God has developed a love in my heart for Ukraine when I hadn't really given it much thought nearly 3 years ago. I'm not sure I can describe it. The people, the cities, the culture, the food... it's all so vivid in my mind and linked to rich memories from our time spent there. I'm reminded to pray regularly for family and friends of Irina, which brings the country all the more close to my heart.

I spotted an advertisement for a performance by the Kiev Symphony Orchestra and Chorus at a nearby church and knew I needed to be there. My introverted, homebody self, who likes to hunker down at home on a Saturday night in my pajamas (and have kids in bed asleep by 8pm!) could not resist. It was a night I will remember for a long time!
The orchestra and chorus are part of Music Mission Kiev (MMK). Read more HERE. It was the first I had heard of the mission and I'm so excited about what they are doing in a very dark Ukraine during this time of turbulence and war. Please consider reading about and supporting their mission.
I took very hasty pictures, but you get the idea. The first half was a mixture of AMAZING music,  testimony of how God is at work in their ministry. All the musicians are Ukrainians except for the president of MMK and his wife. The caliber of their performance was top notch.
So, not only did this concert capture my heart because of their mission to a country that I love. It also stirred in me my love for classical choral music that had been forgotten. The chorus sang pieces I am familiar with from my previous choral experience. It was LIFE giving to enjoy and feel the music deep down to my bones. I was grinning, tapping and clapping loudly at the conclusion of each song. My heart was swelling. It felt like worship to my soul. Praise the Lord for music! I was not the only one who was captivated. Darin and the boys LOVED it. I purchased several CD's which have been thoroughly enjoyed over the last 3 days.
During the second half, they came out in traditional Ukrainian costumes and sang Ukrainian folk songs. I want a costume! I want one for Irina! Why didn't I think of that when we were in Ukraine? So cool.

Speaking of Irina, sweet girl did a terrific job sitting still for a very long time way past her bedtime. The descriptions of the effects of war to Eastern Ukraine were not overlooked by her. It was hard to hear and stirred up sadness as she thought about friends from her orphanage who are living near the location of the bombing. (I had no idea this was coming and did not prepare her ahead of time.) It brought up some hard conversations, but I think she was glad to be at the concert and see "her people." ;)
I bought this cute bag at the concert. 

If you live in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida, I URGE you to 
check out their tour schedule HERE. It is a concert you won't want to miss! 

Someday, I hope and pray I can go back to Ukraine and partner with this ministry. 
There is a stirring in my heart and I can't wait to learn more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment