Thursday, September 3, 2015

An Overused Metaphor

Can you guess where I'm going with this post? 
Since I last posted on August 6th, summer has sped by. And since I have a flair for the overdramatic,
I might even say that MY summer has felt a bit like riding a roller coaster

And that, my friends, is the overused metaphor I am hinging this post upon. Ha!
(Yes, Darin and ETHAN are on that roller coaster pictured above. More about that later.)

Highs, lows, fear, anxiety, anticipation, stomach aches, speed, nausea, and trust are all characteristics
of my summer. Those words could also describe my experience with riding coasters.

If you see me and ask how my summer was, I'll cheerfully reply, "Great!" The honest answer should probably be that I have had to be very intentional/prayerful to FIND and NOTICE God's blessings. Oh, they are there because I KNOW in my head that GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!! But my vision is clouded because of the speed and chaos of life. You know how your eyes start to water when you are whizzing through the air at 120-140 mph? It's hard to focus in on anything except for keeping myself from throwing up. Life has felt like that for me this summer. 

My last lame comparison...
Before I step onto a roller coaster, I must TRUST that it is safe. I'm not getting on if it is making strange noises and I see parts falling off! As soon as I'm buckled in, there is no going back. This summer, I am learning a lot about what it means to TRUST God in the ride of life. I'm asking myself and wrestling with these questions. 

Do I trust God is good? Do I believe He loves me?
Do I trust the plans He has for me?
Do I trust He will take care of me?
Do I trust He will answer my prayers or change my heart?
Do I trust He is at work in me? 
Do I trust He will fight the good fight for me?
Do I trust Him to carry my burdens?

All I know to do, is search the scriptures and remind myself of the truth. 
I am SO thankful for awesome women of God in my life who remind me of truth and encourage me regularly. You know who you are! It's really amazing. Even in my pit, God has blessed me with friends who love me. That can't be anything but a gift of God!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." 
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment