Wednesday, August 17, 2016

What's Cookin' Good Lookin'?

This summer the kids each took two turns to be responsible for planning, preparing, and cleaning up after dinner. My goal was to teach them life skills, give them an appreciation for my job ;) and to maybe have some fun.
Luke decided to make spinach quiche and to make it easy I bought frozen whole wheat pre-made crusts. 
He served it with vegetables and made from scratch brownies for dessert. 
Luke did great, but I have to say it took a LOT of time. When I prepare meals it's all about speed and efficiency. I don't necessarily enjoy the process, but know it just has to get done. I was not prepared for how long this "chef in training" process was going to take. One kid meal down, SEVEN to go!?! ack!
 Ethan chose applesauce pork loin with rosemary, asparagus, croissants, and ice cream sundaes for dessert. He really enjoyed the creative process. Since he helps in the kitchen more then the other kids, it was not as complicated. 


 Aaron made stromboli, a veggie tray, and fruit pizza for dessert. 
He was SO excited about his artistic display. Super cute. 

By the time we were done with Aaron's meal, I knew I needed to steer them towards meals that they could learn to make independently during the school year. I was becoming weary of the lengthy hours making the meal of their dreams. Ha! 
Irina decided to make a cold pasta salad with lots of vegetables. 
She made raspberry, white chocolate brownies for dessert. 

 Luke and Ethan chose salad bar and taco bar for their final meals. 

Aaron asked to make "pigs in blankets" and broccoli. Interesting. 
We have one more meal for Irina and she can't decide what to make. 
All in all, it was a good (but tiring for Mom) experience. 
I like to be solo in the kitchen, but it was a stepping stone 
for some important kitchen skills. I'm not ready to hang
up my apron and pass over all responsibility yet. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment