Friday, May 22, 2015

One More Try

I have been a raised bed, square foot gardener for three years. The first year I had fabulous success! We enjoyed lots of lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and cucumbers. I thought I was pretty special. ;) The second year, we were in the throws of adoption expecting to travel all summer long. My garden was not spectacular. I was not diligent in watering. We had minimal results.

There is no excuse for our pitiful success the third year. Click HERE to review our results last year. We may have produced 6 mini grape tomatoes, rosemary, cilantro, and some basil. I suspect that the location of our garden is not ideal. The trees nearby have grown A LOT which means less full sun. We rarely had any weeds, but even with my special soil mix our garden was not plentiful. I had pretty much decided to take a year off and enjoy the farmer's market instead. I love gardening... but maybe only when I'm successful? :)

Then I was suddenly gifted with large quantities of tomato plants, pepper plants, and some cucumber plants. A friend of my mom's had some leftovers and was eager to share. So... here we go again. With the help of my mom, the garden is planted and ready to go. Let's give it one more try.
Since these pictures were taken, I've added a few more plants to fill the empty squares.

Do you see all the lush growing trees nearby? They were much smaller three years ago.

These pots are not pretty, but it's what I had on hand. I'm going to see
if it really is the location or maybe just the gardener herself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment