Thursday, March 5, 2015

Language Progress

Even though I really enjoy learning new languages, I highly doubt that I would gracefully handle being immersed in a new language the way Irina has handled it. She has done a remarkable job in a very short time. It is still a steady hill to climb, but I give her much kudos for her tenacity (even when she has been tempted to give up). 

She is a workbook girl, but she tries whatever I throw at her. Today in school she was working on rhyming dominos. They were a little tricky, but when she finished she exclaimed proudly, "I do them all by myself." 

If she was a quiet girl, things would have played out very differently. This is where I need to be thankful for how verbal she is. When we met her on December 16, 2012 she talked non-stop in Russian. The only thing different now is that she is talking in English. I think much of her progress is due to her PRACTICE and she practices a lot. ;)

Some cute little vocabulary misunderstandings that I don't want to forget:
"Please Mommy, you 'shark-pen' my pencil." (sharpen)
"Please you cut my 'great-fruit.'" (grapefruit)
"Can I have 'tu-nut' for lunch today?" (tuna)
"Please I go jump on the 'jumpoline?'" (trampoline) 
If you've heard how fast we talk over here, is it any wonder there has been confusion? 

This young lady is also a note writer. She wants to desperately make sure we know she loves us and is always writing special notes. She wrote this note for me yesterday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment