Sunday, November 2, 2014

No Longer an Orphan

Irina is still producing at least 5 "drawings" every day. Her favorite speed is fast, so her drawings are not usually very detailed. However, last week she produced this all on her own. (I think she asked Luke to help her with some spelling.) It was all her own idea. Yes, I know the Ukraine flag colors are upside down.

WE are her family in America. I am her mother (the teacher). The boys are her brothers. She adores her father, Darin. She embraces us as her new family, but we will never forget her Ukrainian family and heritage. She needed a family able to love her and God chose US. What a privilege!

Over the past year, walking alongside our daughter as she has learned and grown has been full of many amazing moments. Is it always easy? No. Have there been many hard moments over the past year? Yes. Do I regret or doubt our decision to adopt her in any way? NO! We are forever changed.

This Orphan Sunday (Sunday, November 2nd), God has really burdened my heart with the plight of the orphan in new ways. A year ago, our precious daughter was living in an orphanage as a social orphan. Seeing, hearing, smelling, and observing orphan life in Ukraine for only about 6 hours last year left a permanent impression on my heart.

I read this quote today and I find it very true.
"We learned that orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They are easier to ignore before you see their faces. It is easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes." Radical by David Platt
I also found this video very touching. You can watch it HERE.

If you are interested in participating in a tangible way, HERE is one option.

At the very least, take time NOW to pray and thank God for the family He has blessed you with. Pray for those children around the world without the loving care of families. Please? Will you join me in praying?

No comments:

Post a Comment