Friday, June 20, 2014

Daddy's Birthday

The kids around here REALLY like to celebrate birthdays. Yesterday was Darin's 39th. In the days leading up to the 19th of June,  Irina was counting down the days. Luke was planning and coordinating a show for Daddy. They've all been busy picking out special gifts, making cards, and decorating for the special day. We decorated with signs, streamers, colored lights and piles of gifts.
This year, I got the idea from a friend to take them to the Dollar Tree to pick out a card and a gift for Darin. Now I know I'm not a big spender taking them to the dollar store where everything is a dollar, but I loved being able to give them free reign to choose whatever they think Daddy would like best. Each of their gifts and cards matched their personalities.
Before Darin started work that day, the kids were VERY eager for him to open their special gifts. Ever since Luke's birthday, they are all about using clues to find the hidden gifts. Aaron planned out 3 clues which resulted in Darin finding his gift hiding in a basket under winter hats. Aaron made a cute card AND picked out this card which we thought was HILARIOUS!
outside
inside
Aaron was laughing SO hard. I will never forget his utter delight in giving Daddy his cards and gift. I'm not sure I have ever seen Aaron so happy and proud. His laughter is etched in my brain. Oh how I wish I had taken a video! It was priceless!
The gift he picked out was a joke calculator that squirted water at you when you 
pressed the "ON" button. Again, he could not contain his excitement. It was so funny. 

Next up was Ethan... he was very sensible picking out a set of three nice ball point pens and making the paper weight you see in the bottom right corner of the picture above. He selected a very nice card AND made a card too. Notice everyone's shirt is wet from trying out the squirting calculator! ;)
Luke sent Daddy on another hunt with clever clues leading to the gift hiding in the crock pot. 
My sensitive guy made an elaborate card, picked out a very heart felt card and 
purchased chocolate peanut butter candies for Daddy. 
Irina really enjoyed picking out a gift for Daddy. She loves to be generous and although I told the kids I would pay for the gifts she really wanted to use her money. After lots of deliberation, she settled on a stack of pretend money. I didn't realize until we came home that she didn't understand the money was "play money." Oh dear! She was still excited when we explained it was pretend. phew! 
It was a work day, so we got out of Daddy's hair for most of the day. We met him 
back at the house for a late afternoon trip to the swimming pool, followed by 
dinner out and ice cream cones. (I offered to make him a special cake or pie, 
but this was what he wanted.) The kids picked out their outfits for dinner. 
Like I said, they are really in to celebrating! 
Especially a Daddy that they love so much!
Isn't he adorable!?! I'm just a little bit biased, but I could eat up his cuteness. 
The kids decorated the play room for the show they had planned, but we ran out of time. Ethan had early testing this morning, so observing bedtime was a must. SO, we'll do the show tonight. Can't wait to see what they have prepared!
Happy Birthday Darin. Hope you felt loved, honored and 
respected on your special day! We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment