Monday, October 7, 2013

Preparations Continue

We leave in less then 2 weeks for our first trip! Oh my! I'm not nearly ready. I haven't even begun to pack or make a detailed packing list. I don't have any winter boots and they had snow there last week. I'm not worried though. 
I know it will all come together and we are getting very excited! 

We almost have Irina's room ready. I have a couple more pieces of wall art and pillows to set up that were given to us from friends. We need to add some shelving and baskets to her closet to use as a dresser. That will probably have to wait until we are between trips or maybe even after she comes home. For now, I thought you might enjoy seeing how we've set up her room. 
Almost everything we added to the room was repurposed items or gifts. I am thankful!

You may remember from when we hosted her that we have this large map on one wall in her room. We had been using this as a homeschool room for geography, history and reading. We are happy to pass it along to Irina.  We debated quite a bit and were not ready to remove the wall paper map. We had just redone this room last fall and it wasn't in our budget to redo it yet. 
So, we worked hard to try to make it as girly as possible. 

 Considering her background, I like having the map. I think it is pertinent. Someday, we'll redo it with her input. 
For now, we are thrilled for our little Ukrainian to join our family. 
The school desk was one that I sat on as a little girl watching my dad painting. The spool bed was in my parents attic formerly used by my brother. I found a quilt to tie in the colors from the map and added some pink to make it girly. 
I had so much fun making the ruffled curtains and bedskirt!

This sweet canvas was from the adoption shower my dear friend Joanna threw on Irina's behalf. I intended to write a post about that, but it never happened. Maybe some day? Irina is being grafted into our family. We are thankful for the many friends who have prayed for her and loved her from afar. The "leaves" (finger prints) are from all the women who made it to the shower. 

A personalized pillow case made by a new friend. :) 

Her photo collage and bookshelf. We need to add more books, but I'm sure that will happen quickly. 

 The boys painted the pink "IRINA" letters. I redid the photo board with pink ribbon and added pictures of her new family members and friends. The pictures on the back of her bedroom door are artwork I saved from when she was here at Christmas. 
She made pretty pictures with stickers and was delighted!

Lastly, a baby doll in a cradle with a quilt. This was a gift from very special friends. Rachel and Megan, with the help of their mom, hand stitched and machine sewed this quilt to match the curtains in Irina's room. Even though Irina is 10, it is very important that she goes back and touches some developmental milestones she likely has never experienced. It will be a part of her healing process. She has probably never had a baby doll like this to play with. Although, I've had to keep this doll and cradle locked away in her closet to keep Aaron from playing with it!! :) Hopefully she'll share it with him occasionally when she comes. 

I have to say that preparing her room has been very special for me. Even though I have never really liked girly colors, they are growing on me. There is a lot of pink and purple in her closet!! I'm going to have to get used to it! :) 

We are so grateful for your prayers. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh this makes my heart SO happy! I love her room and I can't wait to see Irina again. Praying!

    ReplyDelete