Monday, October 21, 2013

Food

I know some of you are curious what we are eating. There are little sidewalk food stands and restaurants everywhere. Pizza and Irish pubs seem to be pretty popular around here too. In fact, our apartment is situated between an Irish pub and a pizzeria. Our plan is to eat breakfast and one meal in our apartment each day. I brought with me granola bars, baggies of cereal, peanut butter, almonds and some protein packed bars. We bought fruit and bread at a market. So far, so good. ;) 
On Sunday night, after walking around all afternoon and not eating lunch we decided to grab dinner at the Pizzeria next to our apartment. We had delicious salad, soup and a very thin (but yummy!) cheese pizza. 
Today our goal was to go for more traditional Ukrainian cuisine. We walked around quite a bit before settling on this restaurant. (By the way, the weather here has been wonderful. The temperatures are in the 50's and I could have been wearing a lighter jacket. The air is crisp and very fall-like. We've had two sunny days. yeah!)

Darin's not thrilled to be the subject of all my pictures. ;) He doesn't mind it too much, but it will be better when I can take pictures of Irina. This is at our table in the restaurant where we ate a late lunch/early supper. 

I had cucumber, tomato and onion salad with dill. Darin had borsht soup (beet soup) served with bread and sour cream. 

If you want water it comes in a bottle. Here is our water with no gas. It was about 50 cents.

This was potato dumplings with fried onions. It was served with a little bowl of sour cream. 
It's called var e nee kee (that's how you say it), but I think it's just like pirogues. Very good!

This was pumpkin fritter (dessert) that we shared. 
It was served with a little bowl of sour cream and a little bowl of rasberry jelly. yummy! 
The total for our bill came to about $21 with tip.

One of the roadside market stands that had some good looking produce. 

I promise I won't post pictures of our food every day, but I thought it was worth seeing. If only for the boys. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment