Tuesday, May 17, 2016

April Memories

It's officially May 17, but it's 56 degrees and rainy (again!) We have 8 days left of our school year and beach time is quickly approaching. Ahhh!! Testing is done. The homeschool academy is finished for the year and we have only one more week of soccer. Yeah! Our pace is slowing and I think that's why I can squeeze in time to update here. Yippee!!! We celebrated another birthday and took a trip to Ukraine (sort of). Posts on that coming soon. ;) In the meantime...
I'm thankful for apple tree blooms and growing apples. Maybe we'll get a taste this year before the squirrels hog them all? If not, the flowers still make me happy. I guess I can share with the squirrels. 
Running has it's ups and downs, but it keeps me sane. In early April, I ran in a 10K without my usual crowd of family spectators. There was wind, rain, and a snow shower so I'm glad I encouraged them to stay behind. Darin surprised me by bringing out this old sign to encourage me as I pulled out early one Saturday morning.  (need to add Irina's name!) I usually love races and push myself hard to make my goal, but this time I think I would have preferred a quiet run away from the crowds. I'm thankful though that my body can still move and I'm able to experience the stress release and running high.
We had some sunny days in April that were great for kite flying. 

Ethan is my chef in training. He's the only one who has expressed an interest and it's a great for him. (and me!) He gathered the spices and prepped the whole chicken for the crock pot. It was the best massaged chicken I've ever had. So tender. ;)

How many caterpillars can you spy? Don't forget the one climbing up her neck! gross! 
Didn't phase her. Thankful that my girl likes adventure, nature, and trips to the park with friends. 

I'm thankful for art, creativity, and an inspiring art teacher. 
The boys selected work to display for the science fair and art show. 
Here is half of the crew for our morning running club. Eventually it fizzled out, but it was great preparation for the soccer season and a great PE opportunity. Can't wait until one of the kids wants to join me for longer runs. I see glimmers of desire, but I don't want to push it. I tried that before and it had the opposite result. 

What an unexpected fun activity at the summer fair for Westminster Academy. 
A mechanical bull! The kids were enamored. 
I couldn't resist trying it too, but I insisted on no pictures. ;) You'll just have to 
believe I gave it a whirl. I used muscles I didn't know I had, but it was so much fun. 


These two keep me company during Luke and Ethan's soccer practice. I enjoy walking 
around the perimeter of three soccer fields while we wait. I try to encourage them to 
be active with races of all sorts. This day, they asked me to take pictures of them. So funny!

You never know what you'll find in the laundry baskets. Never expected a large branch from the Crepe Myrtle tree. 
Although in our house, the best motto is to expect the unexpected. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment