Monday, December 15, 2014

Oldest Boy Privilege

Sometimes it is hard being the oldest kid. Prior to adopting Irina, that is how Luke felt. Being older meant more chores, more responsibilities, more expectations, but not necessarily special privileges. Slowly we've been trying to change that. It takes effort to make that happen, especially since the three boys are together so much.

When Irina came on the scene, it was a new adjustment. Technically, she is the oldest in age. She makes a point to remind Luke of that. When we are out and about, sales people always point out that she is the oldest. All of a sudden, Luke was bumped out of order. He became concerned with her getting to do things first. (drive a car, get an iPod, go to college, etc.) He loves that she is a great cleaning helper... especially since the two younger boys need a lot of help to stay focused. The big picture is that Irina and Luke have become good friends (we are so thankful!) However, this is just one of the many adjustments we have faced adopting out of birth order.

When I heard on the radio that one of Luke's favorite Christian singing groups was coming to town, Darin and I decided this would be a great opportunity for Luke to have a special privilege. His first concert!!! We surprised him... big time! He knew he was going somewhere with me, but he didn't know where. He guessed we were going to a movie theater (he's never been to one of those!) He guessed we were going to the circus, a tacky light tour, or some other Christmas related event.
When I told him we were going to a concert, he had no idea what he was in for. 
First, we drove near the concert and had dinner out. That in and of itself was a huge treat. 
He and I share similar tastes and Chipotle hit the spot. 
This was before the concert. He was really nervous. He is VERY sensitive to loud noises. 
(why didn't I bring ear plugs or cotton balls?!?) He kept his hood on at the beginning 
of each song, just in case it was too loud. Slowly, he warmed up (literally) and 
loosened up. He shed his jacket and ENJOYED!!

 Music affects me deeply... particularly the words. I have to be careful what I am filling my mind with because music makes such a big impression on my heart. Luke is very similar. He "feels" music deeply and with his extremely sensitive ears he notices so many nuances of music that I think others miss. We enjoyed Ryan Stevenson and Matt Maher.
I especially liked Matt Maher on the piano. It sounded great!
After intermission, then came Toby Mac and Diverse City Band. The concert was called "Worship, 
Stories and Songs." It had some funky grooves, but it was really worshipful. I left there feeling
 encouraged in my relationship with God. Luke kept saying, "This is awesome!"

He had his camera and took some videos to show Daddy, Ethan, Aaron, and Irina.
I love this boy! I love that he really enjoys being with me. He will lean over 
and snuggle on my shoulder and hold my hand unashamedly. The pre-teen years 
are sneaking up on us and we've encountered some attitude. 
That made this evening even more special for the both of us!
There was a huge crowd, but somehow the stories shared 
felt like Toby Mac was talking just to Luke and me. 

One quote from the concert (which I frantically scribbled down in my notebook in the dark):
"Who are you?" Toby Mac asks.
He challenged us to answer, "I'm the disciple that Jesus loves. 
Everything else pales in comparison to that."

1 comment:

  1. I SO wanted to go to that concert! That's so fun that you took Luke.

    ReplyDelete