Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Shopping

One of the last big tasks to accomplish before Irina flies back on Thursday was to purchase gifts for her to bring back to her closest friends and her caregivers at the orphanage. From what I understand, this is very important to the kids being hosted. With a very generous gift card in hand that we received from a complete stranger (wow!!!), she and I set off for Target. We had discussed the names of 6 friends and 4 caregivers that she wanted to shop for. We also had some money we received from my aunts and uncles that we had set aside for her to pick out something for herself.

Now just imagine... you've lived with very little for most of your life. Most everything you have is communal. And, you've never been in a large store before (aside from the trip to the grocery store a week and a half ago). This is like sending a kid into a candy store and saying pick what you want. Then add in the fact that you can't fully communicate to establish boundaries and a budget. And don't forget you visit America over Christmas and every time you go to someone's house you get more presents!!!

We survived our shopping trip on Monday and I was able to steer her towards some great purchases at the right price, but I have to say this was VERY hard. I RARELY bring my own kids to the store to let them pick out whatever they want. I had to say "nyet" A LOT. I simply could not buy everything she wanted and we needed to be practical. The large women's coat with a fur collar simply would not fit in her suitcase and this resulted in begging and begging, and then stomping off to a different aisle. I was gentle, but firm. Thankfully she did not hold a grudge, but we repeated this scenario of begging and stomping throughout the store. I don't fault her for this reaction. I understand completely, but I also know it would not serve her in the long run to buy her everything she wanted. I was oblivious to the other shoppers, but I'm sure they had fun watching.

The end result... approx. $120 spent! She picked out beautiful scarves for her caregivers, cards and pencils. She picked out pretty pens, pencils, notepads, crayons, socks, hair accessories, etc. for her friends. For herself, she picked out undershirts, socks, headbands, and some other fun goodies from the dollar bins in the front of the store. Phew! I'm glad that is done! (And I need to add here, that I am thankful for this sweet girls very generous spirit. She was VERY excited to pick out gifts for her friends and caregivers!)
We packaged up the goodies for her friends in clear bread bags and
tied them up with a bow. Then we labelled all the gifts. 

Goodies for her caregivers.



No comments:

Post a Comment