Thursday, January 3, 2013

Saying Goodbye

The pictures will have to tell the story of our morning. My brain is fried and I need sleep. Just like on the very first night Irina arrived when the boys were up every hour with excitement and anticipation, they were up again last night checking on her, having bad dreams and just feeling unsettled. 

The suitcase: 47 pounds! clothes, gifts, her sweet Mishka, toiletries, and her welcome sign

After all her contrariness, I was surprised (and a little sad) she jumped in the van. She was super excited about her new purse that was dropped off by some friends yesterday full of airplane goodies AND excited to see her best friend Polina in Boston (another orphan on this hosting trip.)

She and Aaron were very silly on the way. 
She was tickling him and he was kissing her hand. 

She is resilient! Happy and pulling her huge suitcase which I'm sure she could fit into. 

Waiting to check luggage.

Getting ready to say goodbye! My emotions starting to get the better of me.

I'm a little embarrassed by these next couple photos. This experience hosting Irina was like nothing I've ever experienced. We weren't just filling in for competent parents on a vacation. We actually acted like her parents for 19 full days. And with that came joy, frustration, love and tears. I was reminded of this by a friend: "And we can't forget to be encouraged by all of His work in your heart to bring you to a place of loving so much that it hurts." Yes, it hurt to say goodbye.

And another excerpt shared from a friend written by Katie Davis: "I have learned along my journey that if I really want to follow Jesus, I will go to the hard places. Being a Christ follower means being acquainted with sorrow. We must know sorrow to be able to fully appreciate joy. Joy costs pain, but the pain is worth it. After all, the murder had to take place before the resurrection."

I was just about undone by the sadness from the boys. Ethan was the first to start sobbing, followed quickly by Aaron. Luke was sad too, but had a harder time expressing his emotions. They cried for a while and were still crying as we pulled out of the airport. They took a risk too and loved this little girl like she was their sister. They were very sad to see her go. 

Last glimpses before she goes through security.



As I write, she is aboard her plane to Germany and then on to Ukraine. 
Followed by a long train ride to the Donetsk region. She should arrive sometime Saturday afternoon. I received word from Boston that she was chipper and proudly showing everyone her photo album. In fact, one of the coordinators said Ira "borrowed"her camera and took about 100 photos in 10 minutes. Ira even had strangers in the airport posing for her! She is full of JOY!
Keep praying for sweet Irina. 

"The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18







1 comment:

  1. Our family is hosting an 8 year boy from the Ukraine for Christmas. He travels back on Jan 14th to Gulyaipole. I read your last post and fear the same thing. TEARS WILL BE SHED WHEN HE LEAVES. Andriy has been such a joy and we have been truly blessed by his visit. We are considering adoption, but FEAR also sets in. Praying for you and your family. Happy New Year!

    Joy in all things,
    Stacey Christodoulou
    mikestzach@zoom-dsl.com

    ReplyDelete