Thursday, December 12, 2013

Day by Day

Tomorrow marks three weeks since Irina joined our family. 
Every day has its challenges and difficulties as well as its joyful moments. 
I'm not sure I have ever felt so tired. :) I'm having flashbacks to when Aaron was a newborn. 

I finally took Irina to get her hair trimmed. She was very unsure and not very relaxed. 
The hair dresser remarked, "She's stiff as a board." Yes, she was.
Maybe she'll miss the pampering when I start cutting her hair at home? :)
Her fan club. They are used to hair cuts at home and were quite impressed 
with the "swirly chairs that go up and down." I'm telling you, we are like a traveling circus. 
Her first reaction after the hair cut was over was to twirl her hair around her
fingers and then say, "Daddy!" with a huge grin on her face. SO sweet!
As soon as Darin came home, she ran to show him her haircut and was glowing. 
I think she knows without a doubt that she has a special place in Darin's heart.

 This girl is obsessed with riding her bike. She is in the right family because the boys and I go for bike rides regularly! It would have been pretty hard to give that up if she didn't like it. God knew she belonged with us. ;) She fits right in and is NOT wimpy. She LOVES adventure!
We ventured out of the driveway for our first neighborhood bike ride Wednesday. It was super fun and she had some crazy endurance. The hard part is getting her to follow instructions. Imagine a 3 or 4 year old testing every boundary you put in place. I have to constantly remind myself not to expect her to act like a 10 year old. She's just not there yet. She'll catch up, but this is very typical (or so I've read).
I don't think I can blame the opposition on language either because I'm using charades, drawing pictures and using google translate to make sure the "rules" are clear before adventures like this. She understands, she just doesn't want to do most of what I tell her. Today though, I saw progress!!! Just a glimmer, but it was definitely progress. She's learning the Smith ways and she's responding.
How these boys have welcomed her into the fold is truly a gift. They have their moments too, but they are surprising me with their love for her. Especially Luke… he was a bit reluctant after hosting last Christmas but I see him maturing before my eyes.
 What a difference a year makes!  The picture on the left was from last year. Irina remembered it and posed for me to take an updated photo. Doesn't she look so much more relaxed? They are sweet buddies. Aaron is quick to communicate if he feels like we're not giving him enough attention. In some ways, he has lost his place as the "baby." Sounds crazy, but that's how it is at times.

Irina motioned Luke over to be in this picture with her and then she said in Russian, "friends." You could just see Luke's heart swelling with joy when I translated and figured out what she had said.
I am working at harnessing all her energy. She is a flighty little thing, fluttering from one thing to another calling out "Mommy" every 5 seconds. I've been working on new chore cards with Russian translations and I'm eager to get them all working together. Our house is a mess! It is time to establish a Team Smith cleaning day. :) 

1 comment:

  1. jill! i've been following. and praying. and i just want you to know I GET IT. a chore that lincoln does is clean the baseboards. in the WHOLE house. he loves being helpful. and it keeps him busy for awhile... ;-)

    ReplyDelete